Chapter Nineteen

"For the last time, I'm not property, so you can't just claim me like that. I'm not 'yours'!" I shout, feeling beyond irritated.

"Im not saying you're property." He growls lowly, his irritation expanding beyond mine. "But that doesn't change the fact that you're mine."

I shake my head, "No, I'm not yours. I'm my own person!" I lift my chin stubbornly.

"I don't think that's the case here." Marcello shakes his head.

"Then what is the case?" I roll my eyes.

"Now, that's something I can't tell you quite yet, but you'll figure it out."

"What's that supposed to mean?" I narrow my eyes at him.

He doesn't respond.

"Okay, look here, buddy. You're on thin ice!" I glare at him.

"Does it look like I care?" He asks blankly.

"No, but you will." I promise, backing away, a plan already forming in my head.

Before he's given a chance to bite an insult, I scurry off, snickering at the annoyed grunt he heaves. I glance back, frowning as I catch sight of him following after me.

I see an opening and grin, turning sharply down the hall, but end up running into something.

I glance up.
Nope, not a hall. Definitely not a hall.

I rub my forehead, glaring at the wall that just assaulted me.

"What is up with you running into walls?" I hear Marcello's voice ask from behind me.

I decide to not even get up, and settle with sprawling out on the ground, "I don't know, it's a toxic habit that I find myself doing."

I bend my head so that I'm seeing the world upside down. Marcello raises an eyebrow, "A toxic habit, also known as your clumsiness."

"I am not clumsy." I scowl, glaring at him to the best of my ability in my current position.

"Yes, you are." He argues.

"No I'm not." I repeat.

"Yes." He challenges.

"No." I challenge right back.

"Yes." He continues.

"No." I lift my chin stubbornly.

"No." He smirks.

"Yes. Wait, no." I shake my head, trying to figure out what we're arguing again.

"Too late, you already said yes." He calls out triumphantly.

"That was so not fair. You cheated!" I complain.

He just shakes his head, "You act like a child."

"What? Not I don't!" I defend.

"Yes you do." He says firmly.

"No." I give him a dirty look.

"We're not doing that again." He sighs, shaking his head again.

I see another figure approaching us, and immediately recognize him. "Dante!" I shout, sitting upright and turning around to grin at him.

"Hey, Brim." He calls out happily.

I'm about to get up to hug him, but I remember that I'm still mad at him, so I settle for crossing my arms over my chest and fixing him with a mean stare.

His smile falters, "What happened?"

"You guys not telling me what you were talking about. That's what happened." I say coldly.

By now, his smile has turned down completely into a frown, "Oh. That wasn't even important, it was just...like...guard stuff."

I scoff, "You lying is only making it worse for all of you. I refuse to talk to any of you until you tell me what's going on." Putting my chin up defiantly, I huff.

"Brimmy, it wasn't important, ple-" He stops talking abruptly, and I look at him curiously.

Dante stares at Marcello, seeming to be scared.

"I-I'm sorry, sir." He replies, bowing his head respectfully, hurrying away from us.

"What was that?" I ask in confusion.

"It was nothing." Marcello dismisses the topic quickly, giving me a warning look.

I decide not to pry, but instead get up and stumble a bit before I regain my balance.

If course, with my luck, I manage to stumble into him.

Ignoring the tingles that spread wherever he touches me, I push him away, feeling sturdy enough to walk on my own.

I stalk away from him, stop as he grabs me by the wrist and spins me to face him.

"Yes?" I ask, raising an eyebrow.

Without a second passing by, Marcello crashes his lips onto mine, quite possibly bruising them. I let out a squeak, pushing him away in surprise.

"That was so uncalled for." I scold, lightly touching my throbbing lips. "I think you busted one of my lips." I glare at him.

He blinks at me, "What?"

"My lips. You hurt them." I point out, feeling exasperated.

"I kiss you...and That's your response?" He asks incredulously.

"Well, I mean, yeah. You hurt my mouth." I roll my eyes, "You could've been a little more gentle, you know." I continue to scold.

"Fine." He rolls his eyes, catching me off gaurd when he presses his lips against my own, a little less roughly, but still aggressive.

I nod my head appreciatively, actually able to feel the tingle of the kiss affect my body.

Then I realize what I'm doing.

Kissing a mafia boss that I somewhat despise but like a little? That's so not me. But maybe it could be?

I mean, it's not like I have any boys waiting for me back home. No ones really ever liked me like that.

And I seem to like this mafia boss a bit more than I care to admit.

I wouldn't mind kissing him.

I don't mind kissing him.

Which is why decide to bury my fingers in his hair, tugging a bit, and pressing my mouth against his a little harder, further deepening the kiss.

Before any tongue could get involved, I pull away, nodding in satisfaction, "See? That was better. You don't always have to be so rough all the time." I scowl.

"That's usually the only way I can get things done." He grunts.

"Sometimes that's not the best solution." I shake my head, tutting.

"Its gotten me this far." He points out.

"And you won't go any farther if you don't change your attitude." I raise a challenging eyebrow.

He sighs, "We'll see."