Love and Hearts

CAST:

Kristen Bell as Krista

Emma Stone as Nicole

"Are you crying?"

"No."

"Then what are those wet drops sliding down your alabaster cheeks?"

"Alabaster cheeks?  Have you been reading those Harlequin romance novels again?"

"I read one novel about five years ago and you've never let me live it down.  It's gettin' old, kid."

"In your office I once found a drawer full of well read books adorned with covers of scantily clad characters.  None of the men wore shirts and there was heaving bosom galore amongst the women."

"Why were you snooping in my office?"

"That's neither here nor there."

"Then where is it?"

"Haha.  Would you please sit? It's tiring having to twist my neck to look at you."

"Better?"

"Yeah."

"I've always loved this lake and our lake house.  Surrounded by trees and the snow-capped mountains not too far away...it's the definition of tranquility out here."

"Yeah."

"Remember how we used to take off our shoes and wiggle our toes in the water while chatting about everything and nothing?  Sometimes even for hours?"

"Yeah."

"Hush up, Nic.  You're talking too much!"

"Sorry."

"Still a one word reply, yet two syllables.  You're improving!"

"You're still crying, sis."

"My heart is breaking.  No.  My heart already broke.  It broke the moment..."

"Nic?  Nicki?  Nicole?  Please look at me."

"Maybe I don't want to."

"Why?  Am I that repulsive?"

"Don't even joke.  Krista, you're one of the most beautiful people I've ever had the pleasure of knowing."

"Great minds think alike because I happen to feel the same away about you.  Talk to me.  What's on your mind, kid?"

"You don't wanna know."

"If I didn't wanna know, I wouldn't have inquired."

"I'm mad.  I'm livid!  I'm upset with God and I realize you're not supposed to question Him, but how could He...I'm livid with all those doctors because not one of them was capable of fixing such an amazing heart.  I'm livid with the sun because how could it dare to shine on a day like this?  Mad at the sky because why is it so damn blue this morning?  But most of all, I'm positively livid with you."

"Me?"

"Yeah.  I recognize that it isn't fair but I can't help it."

"Nic, you know I did the best I could.  Fought as hard as I could and look at the bright side.  I lasted five months passed my expiration date."

"Don't say that, Kris.  Makes you sound like a gallon of milk."

"Well, I think there have been a couple of guys who would acknowledge that I do a body good."

"...Uh..."

"Yeah, that sounded more cute and less raunchy in my head."

"Look, Nic.  You know how there's a death and then someone tries comforting you with the overused 'he/she's in a better place now' or the 'at least he/she's no longer in any pain'?"

"Yeah."

"While people may implement those a lot, it's true.  Nic, I can't remember the last time I felt this good.  Absolutely nothing is bothering me and there isn't any fatigue after walking a few steps.  I know you'll miss me as I will miss all of you, but we'll be reunited someday in that magnificent place."

"Being reunited means that we'll have to part ways and the thought of that just makes me want to curl up in the fetal position, never to rise again.  How am I supposed to be here without you?  You're not only my big sister, but my friend.  Kris, you're my best friend and you have been since you rescued me from Delilah Welch on that playground when I was in the fourth grade."

"Oh, yes, haven't thought of her in years.  Dell Welch, the biggest child in your class.  Even bigger than the boys!  She looked as though she could have been in the seventh grade with me."

"After you had your chitchat with her, she never terrorized me again.  Oh, she terrorized other students but she left me alone. No more, 'Know why I call you Gingersnap?  'Cause one of these days you're the ginger I'll snap in half!'.  And she'd follow that with this evil cartoon character laugh."

"Ginger?"

"The red hair."

"Oh!  I've always adored your red locks."

"Thanks, Kris."

"I wonder what happened to Dell?"

"She vanished after sixth grade.  Some say she left to join or start up a gang while others believe she was sent to juvenile hall."

"Hopefully, she's straightened herself out by now.  Hey, Nic?"

"Yeah?"

"You're my best friend too.  And with all my heart and soul I love you."

"You're gonna cause tears to slide down these alabaster cheeks again.  I love you right back."

"Mom, Dad, Miles and Shaun are going to need you.  I understand that may sound unfair considering you're the baby of the family, but it's true.  You're the strongest."

"Don't know if I'd agree that I'm the strongest, but they can count on me."

"You're tougher than you think, sweetheart."

"Will you stay?  Like this?  Can you stay?"

"I have to return for good, but we'll see one another again.  Hopefully, not for many decades though because I don't want you joining me until you've reached severe wrinkles and dentures status.  Nicole, mourn for me if you must but please don't wallow in sadness.  I'm all right.  I'm more than all right and I'm happy.  My greatest wish is for you to live, to be healthy, to succeed in your goals, to find love, harmony and bliss. 

"I counted about five or six wishes there."

"I may be incorporeal, but I think I can still smack you upside the head, kid."

"I'll strive to make as many of those come true as possible."

"All of 'em.  I won't accept any less.  You can do it.  I believe in you and although you won't see me, I'll always have your back." 

"Nicki?  Honey, are you talking to yourself?"

"Oh, hi, Mom.  Um...just thinking out loud.  Come sit next to me."

"On a positive note, since there isn't a cloud in the sky today it'll make Krista's ascent to Heaven that much smoother.  That's what I told myself, your dad and your brothers."

"I like that, Mom.  No clouds in her way.  I'm sorry if I haven't told you enough, but I love you, Mom."

"Oh, baby.  Come here.  I have a hug with your name on it.  I love you too.  No words could sufficiently express how much."

"Nicki, the...mortuary will be here soon.  You want to go say goodbye?"

"Hmm, you know what?  I just did."