Alone

Earlier...

Sarah hung up the phone. Hannah had told her to find some place safe...

Sarah approached her mother in the kitchen. She was cleaning out the blender. Hope smiled sadly at her daughter.

"Fancy a movie night tonight?" Hope suggested. "You and Lucy could pop around to the corner shop before it shuts and get some ice-cream." Sarah cringed. Was her mother really suggesting they have a go at playing happy families?

Where would be safe from a witch?

"Lucy's not here."

"What do you mean? It's almost nine." Hope looked stern.

"She went to church."

"Church?" Hope's voice was sceptical.

*

Sarah was edgy as they walked through the village. She peered into every shadow and imagined Elizabeth lurking behind every hedge. She also pictured the skulking figure of Russell crouched behind a car. Sarah shivered. She would never feel safe again. 

Sarah almost lost her nerve when they reached the alleyway. She gulped as she looked at the blackness. Seizing her mother's hand she pulled her along as she ran its length. Hope loudly complained.

"Sarah, stop! This is childish!" 

But Sarah didn't stop until they were once again under the reassuring illumination of street lamps. Hope was out of breath and flustered but Sarah ignored her, focusing instead on the church that was now in view. Once they reached it - they would be safe. Sarah was beginning to doubt her earlier confidence in this. Was it only vampires that were burnt by the crucifix? Would it have any effect on a witch? 

They crossed the road and reached the little gate that was plastered with village news and adverts. Sarah stopped. It was quiet. Too quiet. She looked about them once more. Only one house was close to the church and that was the cottage that now belonged to the Evans'. Looking up at the black windows it didn't look like anybody was home.

The soft purr of an engine startled them both. Sarah spun around only to be blinded by the front lights of a slowing car. She squinted, one arm up to shield her eyes from the glare. The light's turned off and engine stopped. Sarah's vision was filled with dots and she blinked trying to get rid of them. She made out the silhouette of a man getting out of the car. Sarah tensed. Was it Russell? Had he come to finish her off?

"Daniel." Hope's voice was cold.

"Darling, please I can explain." 

Sarah recognised her father's voice.

"EXPLAIN!" Sarah stepped back as her mother screamed in rage and hurt. "YOU SLEPT WITH MY SISTER! I THINK WE'RE A BIT PAST EXPLAINING!" 

Daniel paled, shrinking back from the onslaught. Sarah began to cry softly. She didn't want them to be arguing. Especially not now. She just wanted everything to go back to how it used to be. They were happy once. 

Sarah shuddered as a sudden chill swept over her. On instinct her head snapped to look to the left. She cried out in fear. It was Elizabeth.

But at the same time it wasn't. She was not fully there. Sarah could just about make out the brick work behind Lady Hart's ghostly form. Daniel and Hope turned to see what Sarah was screaming at. Hope gaped, open mouthed at the apparition before them. Daniel leapt out in front, trying to shield his wife and daughter.

"Get behind me!" He commanded. The vision of Elizabeth merely smiled cruelly before raising one translucent hand. Sarah was blasted back. She landed with a thud on the grassy bank of the pavement. Sarah scrambled to her feet - her parents acting like wise. Hope's head had smacked the curb and blood was trickling down her face.