eight

Maddy and Cal

Maddy and Cal

***

My alarm went off and I groaned wanting just a few extra minutes of sleep. I had already hit the snooze once and I knew I had to get up now or I would be late. I took just two extra minutes to scroll through my phone.

The next few weeks of HITS flew by. I couldn't believe that we only had two more weeks before the horses would get a month break. Then we would come back for the last three weeks. The horses had been amazing and I had learned even more about them.

The first week was as good as I could ask for. In the 3'6 Performance Hunters, Olly was champion and Stella was reserve champion. They also competed in the 3'6 Hunter Derby on Saturday. Olly was eight and Stella was third. Henry was champion in the 3'3 Green Hunters and Chloe got great ribbons in 3' Greens. Peter did three flat classes and got better every time he went into the show ring.

Caitlin showed both Olly and Chloe in the 3' Adult Hunters and killed it. She was reserve champion with Olly and got top ribbons with Chloe. 

If it was even possible, the second week was better. Olly and Stella switched roles, Stella was champion and Olly was reserve champion. Henry was champion again in his division and Chloe was reserve champion in hers. Peter even showed over fences in a 2'3 open hunter division. We still had some refusals but he made it around every course without being disqualified.

Caitlin was champion on Olly and again got top ribbons with Chloe only being a few points out of the reserve champion spot. She was so ecstatic every time she came out of the arena, it took everything in her not to cry of happiness.

This week I was taking a little break as I was exhausted after showing five horses two weeks in a row and training a student. I also had to go back home a few times a day to hand walk Cal and cold hose his leg. I was in desperate need of a groom but I hadn't found the perfect person yet.

I had been getting numerous offers on both Olly and Henry. I had fallen in love with both but I felt I had a strong connection with Henry. My heart wanted to break at the thought of selling him but I knew I would probably put him up for lease or sale at the end of the circuit.

Olly, on the other hand, had been amazing but wasn't a real challenge for me to ride. I knew his destiny was to help teach riders as he had been doing for Caitlin. I decided I would lease him out so I could always control who he would be going to.

I had been given many offers but none sparked my interest until a trainer contacted me about his student who was looking for a children's hunter horse who would take her to the junior hunters eventually. I felt she would be perfect for Olly and vice versa. She was coming to try him out today.

I finally dragged myself out of bed and began getting ready. It was Tuesday so none of the horses showed today. I pulled on a pair of tan breeches and a white polo shirt finishing the look with a black belt.