four

Sweet Juliet aka Juliet

***

Friday went even better than Thursday. The boys all had two over fences classes and one flat class and they blew me away. Henry won his flat and was 2nd and 3rd in his over fences classes finishing up reserve champion of the division out of 15 horses. 

Cal and Olly were also amazing. Eloise flatted Olly for me since I couldn't ride both him and Cal and they were 3rd the flat class. Olly also won both of his over fences classes with me making him champion of his division out of 25. Cal was 2nd in the flat and 2nd and 3rd in his over fences classes making him reserve champion just behind Olly. I almost cried when we got to stand in the arena for the photographer posing with our ribbons. 

It was now mid-afternoon on Saturday. The boys got the day off and I had tried showing Juliet that morning. She was very nervous in the warmup so I scratched her from the over fences and did just a flat class instead. She ended up 4th out of 9 and kept her cool for most the class so I was proud.

Now I was watching Eloise show her mare in the 3'3 Green hunters class. They had been doing great all week and if they did well in their final class, they would surely be champion or reserve.

While I was watching I noticed a younger girl shyly approaching me. I smiled and gave me a small wave and she smiled back. I guess the wave and smile gave her a boost of courage to come over to me.

"Hi Madison," she said nervously. "My name is Caitlin Davis and I just wanted to say that I'm a huge fan of your riding. I'm pretty much obsessed with your horse For the Win. I was also wondering if I could talk to you about your working student position?"

"Hey, you can call me Maddy!" I smiled. "I would be happy to talk to you about the position. What's your riding level at now? Are you looking for full or part-time?"

"Oh, I'm not the best honestly. My mare is a bit on the greener side and I've only had her about a year. We're showing in the 3' Adults right now but I would love to show in the 3'6 AOs one day. I would love full time but if you wanted part-time that's good too whatever you would like."

I smiled. I could tell she was nervous, I was too when I was trying to get my first working student position. "Well, Caitlin I would love to watch you ride. I'm honestly in a bit of a time crunch to get a working student so if you want it, then it's yours."

"Wow really? That's amazing! My old trainer is actually gone this weekend so I had a friend who was supposed to help me but maybe you could-"

"I would love to train you this weekend. Would you mind if I met your horse? When do you show?"

"Yes please come meet her," she slowly grabbed my arm to pull me towards the barns. "I show around four."

"Sounds great. Let's go meet this little mare."