Episode 11

31 / Missing Star

It took a moment for Nehemiah to recover from the shock of the sudden revelation that the man who had been acting as the “lawyer” for his father was the same man he had written a letter to that morning. “So… did you get my letter?” he asked. It was the only thing he could think of to say.

“I did, I did,” said Dr. Templeton massaging the sides of his face where he had just pulled off the fake sideburns. He looked several years older without them.

“So, I suppose you are familiar with me already,” Nehemiah said waving his arm around the chilly bedroom to indicate the whole situation including his children and his sister, Melanie. He suddenly felt very uneasy about Dr. Templeton. If this man wasn’t his father’s lawyer, then who was he?

“I am,” Templeton answered. “And just to be clear I am indeed a lawyer — hired by your father. I can show you my credentials.”

“That won’t be necessary,” said Nehemiah although he very much wanted to see them.

“Well, fine, I’ll get them for you anyway. Your father hired me to draw up his will just a few weeks before he fell ill. I was a friend of your mother’s. I am also an ordained minister — Episcopalian. I can get you proof of that as well. I pastor a small church in Philadelphia.”

“Yes, well, what about my letter?” said Nehemiah.

“That can be dealt with later,” said Templeton. “You can take my word for it — there is a standing invitation for your attendance at our gathering.” He pulled a pair of what looked like antique glasses out of his coat pocket and put them on. “Now, let’s take a look at that flag. Your father said that he meant for you to have it — that you would discover it soon enough. But you hadn’t, and I came back to help you along. Besides, I suppose you’re wondering why there are only twelve stars.”

“Yes,” said Nehemiah turning back to the bed that had been his father’s.

Dr. Templeton stepped up to the bedside and gingerly picked up a corner of the clearly aged flag. When he raised it, a thin coating of dust lifted off the fabric and settled on the mattress. Running his hand beneath the fabric as though he were testing the weight and feel of the material, Templeton mumbled to himself. Finally, he said: “Based on my discussions with others whom you will soon meet, I believe this flag is a relic of the original Thirteen. Of course, when it was made, it had thirteen stars in a circle — one for each of the colonies — and all together to represent the forming of a union out of many. But, legend has it, that the white threads of one star was torn out of the flag as a symbol of those who did not believe in the formation of the union. The thirteen adopted it as a passcode of sorts — a secret sign that only the members of the Sunrise Society would be privy to. Of course, if you saw this flag up on a pole, flapping in the wind, you wouldn’t notice one star missing unless you were looking for it.”

…………

After their extended meeting with Dr. Templeton was over, Nehemiah drove home with a lot on his mind. He sent a text message to Michael and Saundra telling them that he had met with Dr. Templeton and that they no longer needed to try to find out who he was. They agreed to meet again in New York in two days.

32 / In the Shadow of the Alamo

Senator Rory Phillips was not too pleased to be caught in the middle of a huge protest in San Antonio during what should have been a brief stop in Texas. He slouched in the back seat of his black Sedan beside his assistant, Cebina. He squinted against the sunlight through the heavily-tinted windows and hoped no one in the crowd would notice him. “Are you sure we couldn’t have gone another way?” he called up to his driver.