Episode 8

22 / Trepidation

The swarthy-skinned man stood in the doorway of Henry McAllen's office in the History Department of Boston University with his arm extended toward Saundra.

"Who are you?" Saundra asked as her heart began to race. Two things concerned her: First, this man she did not know seemed to know her and who she had come looking for. Second, he seemed to be implying that the person she was looking for was in some kind of danger.

"Look, I know — I think I know where Henry is," the man said. "But if we don't go now, it may be too late. It probably is already too late."

"I don't even know who you are," Saundra said. She glanced down at the cell phone in her hand. She had just been talking to her mother about the Sunrise Society which Henry McAllen had been writing about before he went missing. Saundra clutched the print-out of the draft e-mail in her right hand.

"You can call me Michael," said the man.

"That doesn't tell me anything," said Saundra as she stood up wondering how she could possibly make an escape. She eyed the window behind her. It was locked and she was sure the man, Michael, could easily reach her before she had a chance to climb up on the desk, unlock it, and jump out. The only other way of escape was the door, and Michael was blocking it. He didn't look unusually strong, but Saundra feared she would get the worst of it in a scuffle anyway. She wondered if he was armed.

"We don't have all day," Michael said leaning against the door and folding his arms across his chest. "You are coming with me."

"And if I don't want to?" Saundra said.

"I will make you."

"Where are we going?" Saundra said wondering when she had agreed that they were going anywhere together.

"Not very far," said Michael. He stepped back from the doorway and motioned for her to come. Saundra sighed and slid her cell phone into her pocket. At least I can call for help if I need to, she thought. She stepped around the desk and headed to the door. This close, she could see the scar on Michael's face better. It was long and dark red, stretching from the middle of his forehead to the middle of his nose. She wondered how he had gotten it, and immediately began to think that he was part of a gang or some sort of drug dealer.

Michael spun around and started down the dimly lit hall toward the door Saundra had come in. Seeing her chance, Saundra turned and darted in the opposite direction. If the door at the other end of the hall was unlocked she could get out and get to her car.

Her attempt at escape was short-lived. She felt Michael's hand close like a vise-grip on her elbow before she had taken three strides. "I can't let you do that," he growled in her ear in a low tone, painfully aware that they were standing in the middle of a hallway between two unlocked doors. Anyone could walk in at any minute, and anyone could be in one of the other offices. "Promise you won't try that again," Michael said.

Saundra hesitated.

"I thought you wanted to find your friend," Michael said. He loosened his grip on her elbow.

Saundra nodded once stiffly.

"Now, follow me," Michael said.

A brisk wind had picked up and the sun dipped low on the horizon as Michael walked hurriedly across the stone walkways of the tree-lined plaza toward the Mugar Memorial Library. He glanced over his shoulder to make sure Saundra was following him.

Saundra was following him with great trepidation. She had no idea of this man's intentions. She was pretty sure he didn't want to kidnap her, and that gave a small measure of relief. But she couldn't shake the worry that chimed in her head. She slipped her hand into her pocket and painstakingly tapped out a message to her mother on her cell phone as she walked: In trouble. Come quickly. @ Boston U. Mugar Lib. Bring help.