Them and the Dark

'I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to reach my destination.'

                                            -Jimmy Dean

   The charring smell of something burning hit her making her gasp awake. Brown eyes greeted her at first sight. The fear gripped at her, a scream followed and a swift punch to the cheek knocked the person down.

  She kicked away before he swayed back up. "Wait wait wait! It's ok, nothings going to happen. Just calm down for a sec. Goddamn that hurt!"

  Already a red swell shone on his cheek. He sat on the ground and held his cheek whimpering like a lovesick puppy. She stared him; she laughed.

  Somehow, laughing made everything slightly better. Like letting loose anger and pent-up frustration and all those ugly thoughts and nightmares that invade your brain making you feel paranoid. That moment was refreshing even though the boy sitting on the ground was looking at her weird.

  "Are you alright?"

  Kisara looked at him, catching her breath and nodded. "Damn that hurt like hell, why did you do that?" She pulled her knees to her chest. "Fine you don't have to talk since you've been through a lot since you're Passing." Kisara looked up at the young man in curiosity, taking in the first of his features. His hair was a rich brown that was messy. Strong, sharp blue eyes stared at Kisara. His emotion on his face; concern and awareness etched together.

  "Oh? You don't know what happened to yourself?" Kisara shook her head. "That explains your sudden outburst," he rubbed his jaw, "the names Trent Lindyns. Yours?" She didn't answer. "Fine, its alright. It can wait." Trent sat back away from Kisara against a rock wall.

  Kisara's eyes grew wide at her sudden placement. She stood up quick and looked around. They were in the ruins of an old town. Rock and chipped wood scattered everywhere in the dark of dirt. Beautiful dead trees grew in the cracks in the ground and out of houses. It seemed like a natural setting. Kisara looked up to see the sky still hasn't changed from the purple-blue colours.

  She spun in circles until her head hurt. "Hey, stop you'll just get sick." The young man stood up. He was an inch taller than Kisara but still intimadating with his physique. "Come on. It's not safe to stay in one spot up on the land." Trent started to walk through the ruins. Kisara stood where she was. "I will leave you behind," he shouted back. A moments hesitation and Kisara was soon right behind him.

  They picked a path through the debris and rubble reaching to the tree line walking straight into the brush. It wasn't an uncomfortable silence but a more needed one for Kisara. She remembered those black blobs with soul-wrenching orange eyes. Trent running from them and picking her up, jumping off the cliff---

  Wait.  .  .the cliff; where did the pillars of rock come from? She bumped in Trent face first. He put a hand over her mouth before she could take a breath and pulled her into a bush. A wave of a hand pushed rock and dirt and stone into the ground creating a hole, Trent pulling Kisara down with him. Another wave and a sheet of ground plunged the hole into darkness.

  Trent still had his hand on Kisara's mouth. She could feel his breath next to her ear. "Don't speak or move," he whispered.

  A squeal followed by cackles and rumbles drifted through the ground to their ears. Clicks pinpointed where (whatever they were) their location was. The sounds kept on until they slowly faded away. Silence was left. Kisara felt pressed and enclosed in; started to feel an itch on skin, wanting to get out and away from the hole.

  Rock chunks, steel wires, and cables fell into the tiny hole she made with her now bloody fingers. Kisara had her arm away before the while fell in on itself plunging her cage back into pitch black dark.

  The dark brought nothing but raw screams from Kisara rang off the cold walls.

  Kisara clawed at the dirt ceiling in a frenzy to get out. Trent tried to grab her shoulders. "What are you doing?! You're going to get us killed!" The dirt broke away reveiling the sky. She climbed out and laid out on the grass curled into a ball, tears slowly trailing down her cheek.

  Trent crawled out of the hole kneeling by Kisara. His voice was tuned out of her thoughts. Please not the dark, never the dark.

                                   ¥

I haven't updated in awhile because of school (bleh) but i do mean to try to update every friday and continue Coma. Tell me what you think. Vote, Comment, Speak your mind!

If anybody would like to give me quotes for the chapters please message me and I will put them right in the chapters. Quotes will be very much liked.

Enjoy and read on!