01

CHAPTER ONEWE ONLY SEE EACH OTHER AT WEDDINGS AND FUNERALS◦

CHAPTER ONE
WE ONLY SEE EACH OTHER AT WEDDINGS AND FUNERALS

RAMONA LOVES POWER.

Dad used to say she was unstable. Strong, great potential—but unstable. She needed to gain control and fast. Not even for his sake—but for the mirror on her vanity that just shattered for the third time this month.

Ramona groans as she gives up on her makeup. It's fine. But goddamn it if she can't get that fucking eyeliner wing—

Get your priorities in order, Number Eight! Control yourself!

Ramona stands and straightens the right, black, sparkling dress, turning and examining herself in the mirror by the door (the only one she hasn't shattered yet). She smirks at her reflection as she slips her black heels and coat on.

You are far too conceited, Number Eight!

Her smirk falls. Even dead, he won't get off her ass.

She can hear Luther and Diego a few rooms over. They must be in Dad's room. She can't understand what they say but Luther sounds skeptical. Guess the suicide plan worked after all, at least partially.

Ramona likes Luther. But his loyalty to Dad drives her nuts sometimes. Clearly some things haven't changed, even though Dad sent him to the moon for no reason at all. She may be mean, but Ramona doesn't have the heart to tell that little fact to Luther.

She hasn't seen him in four years. Things were different after what happened. They were the only ones who stayed at the academy but for very different reasons. Luther was too afraid to go. Ramona was smart enough to stay. After all, Dad had money—lots of money. She needed money to fulfill her missions, even if they weren't assigned by her father.

Reginald never addressed her killings but he didn't stop her, either. Ramona took that to mean that he didn't mind, or didn't care.

As she descends the stairs, she passes by Mom, appearing to be headed towards the kitchen.

Mom smiles that bright, toothy smile. It makes Ramona smile too. Mom is walking sunshine. "Good morning, Ramona. I was just about to make some breakfast. Would you like some chocolate chip pancakes? They're your favorite." She says happily, a stark contrast to the aura of the house.

Ramona shakes her head. "That's okay, Mom."

Mom reaches up and brushes a finger through Ramona's hair. She turns on her heel, cheerful as ever, and continues to the kitchen. Ramona descends the stairs and walks into the parlor. Vanya and Pogo are there, deep in conversation.

"Your father always believed that Number Five was still out there somewhere. He never lost hope." Pogo says softly.

"And look where that got him." Vanya replies not unkindly.