Chapter 51

Oliver Black

I woke up with Avery secured in my arms.

I admired the way her vibrant red hair draped over her shoulder and smooth back, how the sheets conformed to her body and how the dim light hit her fair complexion.

How did I get this lucky?

I thought last night was incredible. I never expected her to fall in love with someone like me.
Someone who used and threw away women after one night. I didn't care about anything except for work.

She's simply too good for me.

Even though I wholeheartedly believed that, I would never let her go.

My alarm began blaring, but I was quick to shut it off.

I want to strangle Adley just for demanding this stupid meeting. It will probably be a waste of time.

I sighed heavily. I didn't want to leave the warm bed or the incredible woman in it.

I pushed the blankets back and swung my legs out. I made sure Avery was tucked in before heading to the bathroom.

I showered and dressed. When I walked out of the closet I saw Avery sitting up. She winced and I immediately felt a little bad.
She sat at the edge of the bed sleepily holding the blankets to her chest.

"Where do you think you're going?" I asked her as I tied my tie.

Her grey eyes looked blank from being half asleep. "Work." Avery mumbled. 

She stood up only to flop back onto the bed. A furious blush formed on her face. I suppressed the urge to chuckle.

I walked over to her and sat down on the edge.

"You can have the day off today. You weren't even supposed to be working for another few days." I stated.

Avery opened her mouth to speak but I cut her off before she could argue.

"You can barely stand." I sighed. "Sam will be there to help me work anyway."

She huffed and nodded her head.

"I have to go. It's still early, you should get some more rest." I said. "I love you." I pecked her lips and got up.

"I love you too." I smiled as her soft voice followed me out.

"Well, you're absolutely glowing." Sam smirked. "Someone get laid or what?"

I punched his shoulder to shut him up.

"Please tell me it was Avery." He frowned and rubbed his shoulder.

I glared at him. He just shrugged.

"You had a habit before. Who knows, you could have snapped from the lack of sex."

I sighed. "Just get down to business, Sam."

"Fine." He groaned. "I have all the files for the project and the meeting starts in half an hour. The team has been briefed and will arrive in 20 minutes."