Chapter 30

Avery Adley

Tonight was the night of our engagement party. I hadn't heard from or seen Oliver.
I felt incredibly embarrassed that I fainted in front of him.

I worked until 5pm and endured Mr. Adley's grumbling.
In the past week the only places he hit was the abdomen.
My ribs haven't healed yet and it still hurts to breathe. Large bruises covered most of my abdomen and legs.

Today I was meeting Erica at the hotel. She was going to help me get ready.

"Avery!" Erica squealed and pulled me into a bear hug.

"I can't... can't breathe.."

"Sorry!" She grinned. "I was too excited. You should see your dress!"

She pulled me along through the luxurious hotel lobby. I couldn't help but gawk at the classy and modern interior design. The dark coloured walls worked with the white and grey marble and the light furniture and lounges worked perfectly.

I wouldn't have expected any less from a hotel owned by the Blacks.

Mrs. Black and Erica organised the party themselves. They said seeing as myself and Oliver work we shouldn't have to worry about it.

Erica took me to a hotel suite that was filled with dresses and make up.

"Go shower and meet me back here so I can start on your hair and make up." She smiled.

I showered and wrapped my wet hair in a towel and dried my body and put on the provided fluffy white robe.

Erica spent a couple of hours setting my hair.
My long fiery red hair flowed down to my waist in side swept Hollywood style waves.

Red lipstick adorned my lips making them look plump and full. My eyeshadow was natural yet dark, with a pop of light shimmered eyeshadow in the corner.

She finished off by painting my nails a red matching my lipstick.

I gasped when Erica pulled out my dress. A proud smile reached her face and lit up her eyes.

The dress was beautiful.. too beautiful.
It was a strapless mermaid style dress with a sweetheart neckline. The intricate beading design gave the dress a sparkling effect in the light.

"This is amazing." I breathed out.

"If you like this then I can't wait for you to see what I have planned for your wedding dress. Just not as fun." She giggled.

"Thank you Erica."

She laughed. "Of course! You're going to be my sister. Besides, I'm making sure to charge Oliver handsomely for it."

I laughed with her. I didn't even want to ask how much it was all going to cost.

Erica left and I started to get changed. I heard the door behind me and a gasp. I looked over my shoulder and saw Erica standing there with her eyes wide and her hand over her mouth.

I followed her gaze and squeezed my eyes shut.
"What the hell happened?!" I flinched at her loud shriek.

She was looking directly at my bruises.

She pulled me to face her and stared at my ribs. "We need to get you to the hospital! Are they broken?! Are you in pain?!" Panic flooded her face and voice.

"Erica. I'm fine. It happened the other day. I just fell down the stairs. Thankfully the worst was my ribs." I smiled at her.

She let out a breath. "God. Don't scare me like that. Are you sure you're okay? Have you been to the hospital?"

"Of course I have."

Erica nodded and helped me slide the dress on and zip it up.

I thanked her and she got herself ready. She wore her brown hair in a low bun and wore an off the shoulder lace black figure hugging dress.

"You look beautiful!" I smiled at her.

"Thank you, but you should look at yourself." She smirked and pulled me to a mirror.

I looked at myself shocked. I didn't look like me. Sure, I had the same eyes and hair, but my skin wasn't dull and everything looked alive and complemented every curve and shape I had.

Erica giggled at my expression. She checked her watch and gave me a kiss on the cheek.
"Time for me to go! Oliver will be here in a minute for you." She smiled. "I wish I could see his face." She mumbled to herself.

I waited in the room and slipped on the white stilettos with silver filigree leaves crawling up the heel.
They were amazing.

I smiled when I had them on.
The reality of the situation clawed it's way into my mind.
After this I'll be living with Oliver Black and will marry him.
I swallowed nervously. The uncertainty was unnerving.

A knock sounded on the door.
I opened the door to see a handsome looking Oliver.
His black 3 piece suit fitted perfectly.
He wore a red tie and red pocket square that matched with my nails and lipstick.
His silky black hair was tousled and brushed back.
My fingers itched to play and run them through his hair.

"You look gorgeous Avery." Oliver breathed out.

I blushed and smiled. "You look handsome."

"Thank you." He said simply. "I have the ring for you as well."

My eyes widened when he opened a little blue velvet box.
There was a white gold ring with a huge princess cut diamond surrounded by smaller diamonds.

He plucked it out and slid it onto my finger. To my surprise it fit perfectly.

"This is.." I started.

"Not your style? Not big enough?" He asked and almost seemed nervous.

"No no! I love it. It's beautiful. But it looks too expensive." I frowned and inspected it. "What if I lose it?"

Oliver gently pulled my hand up to his lips. He placed a lingering kiss over my knuckles causing me to blush.

"Then there's no problem." He said with a small smile. My blush deepened. "If you lose it, I'll buy you a new one."

I had never seen him smile. Smirk, but not smile.
The smile alone had me in a daze.
Oliver gently pulled me in the direction we were supposed to go.

We made it to a set of oak double doors.
I held Oliver's arm and began to feel nervous.

"Its going to be okay. Just stay with me, Erica or Russell." He said looking in my eyes. I nodded and he leaned in and kissed my forehead.

The doors opened and I saw a room full of tables and chairs a stage and a ridiculous amount of people in suits and beautiful dresses.