Chapter 1

Part 1

It's Wednesday morning, two hours before the big game. Silver Ferns vs. Australia for the title of the Netball World Cup 2011.

I am sitting quietly in the corner of the changing room while everybody else is still warming up, down at the courts in the stadium. This is the only time I can ponder thoughts, relax, and have some time out.

I am thinking about the big game, when suddenly, my coach barges in through the doorway and shouts,

"Why aren't you warming up with the rest of the team?" My instincts tell me to run, so that's what I do.

My coach is left shell-shocked, but at least she decided to stay with the rest of the team instead of following me back home. I don't want the Australians to win, but I just can't face my old best friend again, whom I betrayed twice, over a year ago, just so I could get $15,000.

~Flashback~

It's 2010 and Kathryn and me are happily shopping together. When we finish shopping, we drive back to Kathryn's house and I stay there for dinner. She leaves her house to buy some groceries. I guard her house for her, but I hack into her safe. The number was 30-7-1-2. I hear a "clink". The safe door opens. Stacks of cash stare back at me. I quickly stuff $5,000 into my handbag, then close the safe again, jump into my car, and drove back home as quickly as I could.

~End of Flashback~

The flashback was of the money incident. That was last year. 2010.

By the time I reached my house three streets away from the stadium, I had made 2 decisions. I will not play on the courts today. I will cheat by changing the scoreboard scores by cutting and reconnecting wires. But first, I must steal the scoreboard-operating manual.

When the game commences, I make my way through the big crowds, slip through security, and head to the back of the stadium unnoticed.