Chapter 11

"I'm going to fucking kill you." Ah, his favorite conversation starter coming from his wonderful girlfriend at the wonderful hour of 9:30 on a school night, with such wonderful god damn timing. He couldn't contain the heavy sigh as he ran a hand over his face. He glanced behind him slightly before stepping out the door and closing it behind him. "What could I have possibly done?"

Stella took a step forward pointing her finger at him. "What is your problem? You're assuming things again Aiden. And you're making my family worry. I need you to stop."

"You're making me worry." He said his eyes trailing down her body and back up. He crossed his arms over his chest just as a car rolled down the street. The light shown on his face momentarily and she could see very obvious rings around his eyes. And they were red rimmed. He looked so tired in that instant. And sort of sick.

She felt a lump rise in her throat instantly. She swallowed hard and took a quick step forward, laying a gentle hand on his forearm as she looked up into his eyes. There  was something wrong. She knew there had to be considering his recent behavior, but looking at him then she knew it for a fact.

"Baby, What's up? What's wrong?" Stella's voice was soft and a bit cautious. It was no secret Aiden was temperamental. None at all.

He looked away from her shaking his head slightly. "Nothing."

"No,no. It's something. You look terrible. Sick even." She stated a bit more firmly. "Now what's wrong?"

He stared down at her, his arms still crossed, his eyes unblinking. She stared up at him, trying to look as reassuring as she could. He sighed and pushed past her walking to the end of his driveway. She followed close behind. He stared out into god knows what for what seemed like forever before he glanced over his shoulder and choked out a low and plainly, "Alaine's sick."

Alaine, his little sister, of whom he adores was thirteen and very very cynical. She was dark, and quiet and scared Stella sometimes. Her dark brown bangs always cover half her face. Wherever she sat in the house, whether it be in the floor on her room or at the table eating dinner, she had to have at least two candles burning by her side. And whenever Aiden and Stella would start to fight or even just bicker you could see a devilish little grin slowly melt into her usually unphased face.

She was a frightening little girl, only thirteen and so mature. Stella had grown to love her in an odd way also, But Aiden would fly to the moon and back for her and now she was sick? Oh dear.

"W-what's wrong with her?" Stella asked taking a cautious step forward.

"She's thirteen." His voice is hoarse and quite. "She thirteen. What little girl thinks like that?"

Stella closes the distance and rubs his back slowly, "What Aiden?"

"Thirteen, Stella!" He turned quickly. His voice rising so much louder than she's used to. His eyes watering a bit. Stella jumped back avoiding his flying hand. "Why does she think like this!? I just don't--!" He stops and sighs, his whole body deflating, his voice following suit. "I just don't understand."

"Calm down, Aiden." Stella says taking his break in dialogue to step up. She cupped both hands on his cheeks and raised to her tips toes to meet his wandering eyes. "Just calm down and tell me what's wrong."

He closed his eyes and pushed her hips down gently so she'd let go.Then he sank to the ground, pulling his legs into his chest slightly. She did the same. Not taking her eyes off him for a minute. He sighed and hung his head low. They were quite for a while. And then he began to explain.  

He explained to her how they always worried about Alaine. How they never really understood  how she got the way she got. Why she was so dark.  There was no question really for Stella, she could pinpoint right off that she learned from her brothers at an early age. And it was almost genetic. He himself had been diagnosed with depression at thirteen and so had his older brother. It was something his family seemed to grow out of, and obvious for Stella to see but not obvious for Aiden at a time like this.