The Catch

Walter Moscott entered the business development workroom like a switcher locomotive engine; steady, deliberate, unstoppable, with a little bit of steam coming out of his ears.

"You. In here," he growled, pointing at Linda. Without stopping, he strode into Jerry's office and took a seat behind the desk.

Linda grabbed a pad and pen and followed him in. She sat across the desk from him and waited.

Moscott just sat there, looking at her. His bushy eyebrows pulled tight in a frown. She started to ask something but his eyebrows somehow pulled even tighter together and she closed her mouth. She knew by the office grapevine that Jerry had left the building right after his meeting with the VP in the conference room but she didn't know if he was fired or what was happening.

An eternity later, Marcia joined them. "I'm sorry. I couldn't get the customer off the phone and..."

She took in the tableau at a glance, spared another glance for Linda, and then gracefully sat in the one remaining chair without another word.

Moscott noisily took in a bushel of air and started. "You two young ladies have committed this company to an incredibly risky enterprise. I just had to send my best salesman halfway around the world because of your little rebellion. So, now you get to support him. Anything he needs; driver, translator, airline tickets, whatever. You will see to it."

Linda couldn't help herself. She turned her head and looked at Marcia. They were still going to be tied to Jerry. Her heart sank. Marcia kept her eyes focused straight ahead.

The VP went on to describe Jerry's new duties with the Reardon account. Then came a surprise.

"Marcia, you are now the Lead on the Reardon account. Dan will continue to run the legal department but you report directly to me. You will receive and analyze all of Jerry's reports and coordinate the appropriate actions."

You," he looked at Linda, "are the acting head of Business Development. I'll get a couple of salesmen assigned to you." He pushed away from the desk and walked to the door. "Oh, and your pay will be adjusted to reflect your new responsibilities." He paused in the open doorway, looking back into the room. "The catch is if any of this falls apart; it is coming down on your heads. Understand? Don't disappoint me."

He secretly smiled as he gently closed the door. God, he loved this job.