Chapter Twenty Two - Infinitesimal

Every step Saki took in her motions to follow Mitsuhide towards the castle was filled with tension, dread that sunk deep into her very bones

Every step Saki took in her motions to follow Mitsuhide towards the castle was filled with tension, dread that sunk deep into her very bones. It was worse than the chill of snow, even worse than traveling in clothes so sodden from the rain she may as well have leaped into a lake.

It felt like somebody was walking over her grave.

And as far as Saki was concerned, someone undoubtedly was doing just that.

Seeming to take Saki's peculiar dislike for Obi rather seriously, Mitsuhide lead her in a roundabout way through the castle grounds, one which bypassed the greenhouses and the court herbalist offices, even though just walking straight past the greenhouses and open herb gardens really would have been the quickest way. Never the less, she was thankful for the thought; She certainly wouldn't deny that.

The eventual arrival at the Second Prince's personal office came with no overtones of displeasure, no commands or insinuations. The footsteps reverberated clearly, the air felt oddly pleasant, and as Mitsuhide knocked at the closed door briefly and announced his arrival, a moderately frustrated groan of acknowledgment was given.

Inside the room, Saki noted that the blonde retainer was present with a book in hand, and Zen was running a hand roughly through his hair as he glared harshly upon some paperwork sitting before him.

Though at the sight of Saki walking across the threshold, the Second Prince actually straightened up to cast her his complete attention.

'You've finally stopped in to see me, Akazawa.' He actually sounded rather disbelieving of the turn of events. 'Honestly, I'm surprised.'

'Trust me, the feeling is mutual on that count.' Saki responded.

Thankfully, it appeared her curt choice of words didn't offend anyone. In fact, she thought she saw the young royal stifle the starting signs of a wry smile.

'I expect you already know what this is about?' Zen began as he leaned back in his seat to pull out a remarkably familiar wad of parchment from within the drawer of his desk.

'Undoubtedly to ask if I would reconsider escorting your court herbalist through the wilderness.' Saki admitted with little hesitation. 'What other reason would you need to see me?'

She prayed there was no other reason, at least.

'That is part of it, I admit. Otherwise, I really just want more information from you.' The prince continued as he quickly flipped through the pages bearing the sketches and notes Saki had taken the larger part of a month ago. 'I understand you returned to the forests after our chat last time, and you brought back a young child with this disease infecting her injuries. I was hoping you could give me some more information on the condition of the forests, and anything else that comes to mind.'

Saki remained silent as she stared Zen down, who appeared none the least bothered about the sharp edge to her gaze.

'No strings attached, of course.' He added with what looked to be a well-meaning smile.