Angels

Written by Chimichan54

        The girl laid curled up on the cold floor of the concentration camp. She was barely five and had been taken away from her family by the Bad People. She laid there on her side, weeping, sobbing, crying for her mother. She was scared and alone, she wondered if things could any worse.             

          They had taken her because her family was Jewish. 'Mischling', they called her. They said she was impure. She wasn't old enough to go to school and didn't know what the words meant, but she was sure they were something nasty.               

        She sure that God's righteous wrath was the cause of her pain, but... what had she done wrong? Were the Nazis right? Was it because she was Jew that God had chosen to punish her in such a way?  

She didn't know. She just wanted it to end, and with those thoughts in her mind, her tears drowned her into a deep, everlasting sleep.               

        But in her dream, she saw something absolutely divine. A person clad in white was approaching her, walking with a slow, confident stride. She ouldn't tell what the figure looked like, but she wouldn't be able to remember if she could. She could just barely make out the white silhouette of broad, long wings sprouting from it's back against the bright, glowing background.             

          She knew then that she was in the presence of an angel. She gazed up at it, wide-eyed and gave a polite curtsy.  

"Rise, my child." The angel said. Its voice was soft and feathery, like its wings. "For I am the will of God. He has seen your misery through these horrid months and He wishes you back into His kingdom."  

The girl lowered her head. "So I am dead." Tears threatened to flow from her eyes.  

"Yes." The angel replied. If she could see its eyes, she'd say it was crying. "Long before your time." It extended a gentle hand. "Are you ready to enter His kingdom, child? That's when the tears began flowing from her eyes.                     

         The angel knelt in front of her, removing a single strand of brown hair from her face and caressing her cheek. "Come," it said, taking her hand. The girl, drying her tears with her dirty, ripped dress, nodded. Then the angel and toddler, walking hand in hand, walked off and into God's Kingdom.