Chapter 12

My dream of being enveloped by a warm, white light morphed into reality when I opened my eyes to the Queensland sunshine streaming across my bed. A smile of amazement crawled over my face as I stared out the high-rise windows of our hotel suite and forward to the glorious ocean vista. "Oh, wow..."

We'd flown in the night before, and although the view from our Hilton windows had been pretty in the dark, it was nothing compared to the daylight outlook. We were on the 40th floor, in a luxurious sub-penthouse that would have made even Kim and Kanye nod in approval. It was glass and linen and marble, everything in whites and ocean blues, and simply stunning.

I snuggled down under the butter-soft cotton sheets, revelling in the indulgence, but it was short lived.

"Morning, sunshine!" Heather bounced in. "We're going in half an hour! There's an organic juice bar downstairs, so we can grab something on the way to Radiance."

"Go without me." I pulled the sheet over my head.

Heather's footsteps moved stealthily around the bed; I couldn't see her, but I grinned like a cheeky toddler under the covers as she stalked me.

I didn't have to wait long. "Yah!" Heather threw back the sheet and whacked me with a pillow in one swift movement. "Come on, woman! I'm coming in with you! Don't deprive me of the chance to buy some boobies!"

"You're crazy!" Giggling, I rolled off the bed and dug my toes into the plush carpet. "You're already freaking gorgeous! Boobs aren't going to change that."

A handful of decorative oranges lay in a bowl on my dressing table. Heather grabbed two and stuck them inside her shirt, where they pushed outrageously against the material. "But I want to look like this!" she said, laughing and spinning like one of the Fashion week models.

"Gross! You'll look like a Barbie doll!"

"Damn straight I will! I mean, if they ever make a redhead Barbie with a lesbian life partner..."

We showered and dressed. Heather told me that Radiance would have something for me to wear, so I pulled on jeans and a loose cotton shirt. Is it wishful thinking or are these looser...? I pulled at the waistband, remembering how only a few weeks before in Robbo's office they'd felt like they were cutting off the circulation to my waist.

Curious, I stepped on the glass scales, placed discreetly in the corner of the spa-like bathroom. "Dammit..."

"What?" Heather appeared, her freckled face curious.

"Nothing. I just thought I might have lost some weight, that's all."

"And have you?"

"Not according to those things." I nodded to the scales. "Like half a kilo. Barely anything."

"Bah, don't listen to the scales!" She grabbed me by the shoulders and pointed me to the mirror. "Look at yourself. How do you feel?"

I tried twisting away from my reflection, but she held me tight. Answering quickly, I said, "I don't know... Good, I guess? I haven't been dieting or anything, so I don't know why I expected anything to be different."

"Well, I can tell you, you look different, no matter what you're feeling or what the scales say. Your bum and thighs are definitely tighter!"

"Yeah, I don't think so."

"Trust me, Evi. They are. Plus your skin seems clearer. You look great!"

"Thanks, lady." I brushed it off, unable to accept the compliment. "Shall we juice?"