THE DEATH TRIALS│4

A GONG WAS HIT THREE CONSECUTIVE times. Zaina landed on the ground after the second one, having rolled off the bed. With a groan, she lifted her head from the ground, hand reaching to wipe the trail of saliva on her chin. Smacking her lips, she slowly rose from the ground. She had barely sat down when she met with the straight faces of the khadimas.

"Get up! We do not have all day," Lilith said with a clap of her hands.

Zaina quickly got up and the other two khadimas started straightening the bed and rearranging the pillows. Lilith dragged her to the bathroom and stripped her down; this time she did not hesitate. When she was done with her bath, they sat her down on a stool, her wet hair providing discomfort against her skin. Khadijah combed her hair while Naima and Lilith drained the bath and tidied the bathroom. Her long hair done into a braid and pinned up. Then, she was fitted into a white linen dress. Unlike the dresses she usualy wore, this one was shorter, ending above her knees. Khadijah and Lilith led the way, Naima trailing behind.

When the two other khadimas had made their way out of the tent, Naima turned her head and whispered, wishing her luck. "Renenutet "

Zaina gave her a grateful smile and with a sigh, sank onto the floor beside the bed. She had barely let out a breath when the hasida came in. "It is time for breakfast."

"Oh," Zaina whispered lowly, rising to her feet and following him out.

The other competitors were out as well, the women dressed in a similar fashion. the men were bare-chested, white linen wrapped around their waists.

"This is for you," the hasida said, a leather band with an inscribed jackal in hand.

Managing a smile, she reached for it. "Thank you."

The hasida hesitated. Lifiting his head, he asked, "May I?".

Zaina nodded and extended her arm. Gingerly, he placed it on her forearm, cold fingers gently caressing her skin. She flinched at the sudden sensation.

He immediately stepped back, hands falling to his side. "I apologise if I overstepped." Head bowed, he continued walking ahead

"Oh, not at all!" Her voice dimmed when she realised he was too far out to hear her. "Your fingers were cold, that is all."

Stunned, Zaina stood there, trying to understand his reaction. That is, until she was almost pushed over. Big, burly arms reached out and wrapped themselves around a waist just in time, saving her from another fall. 

"I apologise," a deep, gruff voice said, placing her on the ground.

She fumbled over her words as she lifted her head—an act that seemed to go on forever—to meet his gaze.

The man was quite imposing—wide chest, broad shoulders and a stern face. A leather band with a snake, Apophis' rafiq, coiled on it was stretched taut on his forearm, the string barely keeping it in place. Extending a hand, he introduced himself. "Aharon."

"Zaina," she answered, sounding a little breathless.

His lips stretched into a smile, lifting his hands. "I am sorry, truly." 

"Do not worry." Zaina waved off his words, a smile of her on in place. "I believe we must get going."

Aharon nodded in agreement. They both rushed forward, catching the tail end of the crowd. They walked down the winding halls, the only sound heard was the slap of their sandals against the ground. Soon, they arrived at an empty hall, Anubis standing in front of the competitors, another god behind him.