Chapter Three

Mariana P.O.V.

Veronica got a call from Betty early the next morning, saying that she had noticed Archie hadn't been in his room the past couple of nights. So she asked if Jackson and I could go to school without her, giving her some time to talk to Archie alone, of course we agreed, but only because she mentioned that Betty told her that her and Jughead would be going by the Mayor's office before school and invited me to go with them on behalf of Pop Tate. So I rushed to get ready, putting on a floral romper, a grey cardigan, and salmon colored heels.

"I want to go with you, I don't trust these people." Jackson mentioned while we stood by the black car that would be taking me to meet with Betty and Jughead.

I scoffed, "You don't trust anyone."

"I trust you. I don't trust anyone else besides your family." He told me.

I cupped his face in my hands, "I know, maybe ease up babe. Like I said, if Veronica trusts the them so do I, until they do something that makes me think differently. Okay?" He only nodded. I leaned up and kissed him, "I love you."

"I love you too."

I backed up from him and opened the door, "See you at school."

"Yep." He replied while he shrugged my door behind me, soon after the driver took off.

It hurt that Jackson didn't trust many people, I understood why he didn't, but I wanted him to feel safe. To open up to someone as an ally, not because they were his girlfriends family.

"We're here Ms. Castillo." The driver informed me a few minutes later.

"Thank you Frankie." I said to the middle aged man.

"Anytime. I'll be right here when you get out."

"Okay." I stepped out of the car and began walking up the steps to the y'all building.

I opened the double doors and am greeted with a marble staircase. The inside didn't have any light, only large windows letting in beams of sunlight.

"Mariana." I heard a familiar feminine voice call out from the top of the stairs. I looked up to see Betty in a long sleeved grey cotton shirt tucked into a pink denim button up skirt with her hair in a neat ponytail.

She motioned for me to go up, and so I did and saw Jughead sitting on a simple two seated chair with Betty next to him wearing his signature crown beanie, a dark thick flannel over a maroon collared shirt, with black jeans and shoes. "Thanks for coming." She said to me.

I nodded, "Thank you for inviting me. I really want to help."

Jughead frowned in confusion, "Why is that exactly? Why are you so bent on helping out Pop Tate?" He seemed suspicious of my intentions, but I had nothing to hide.

"Veronica and I never had any real friends besides each other. And you guys are important to her, I can tell. And Pop's is important to her because it's your place. And Veronica is important to me, I don't want her to lose any of this." I motioned around us, "This town. It's changed her, for the better. It's given her better experiences than New York ever did, despite everything that you guys have been through. New York is home, but it's toxic. Riverdale is...normal. That's all either of us have ever wanted." I over-explained to them, but I wanted them to understand more why I was doing what I was doing.

Jughead looked down into his hands, "You guys must be really close then huh?"

I smiled, "We're practically sisters."

Betty smiled at me, "Well we are glad that you are here, and we really do appreciate the help."

I nodded and sighed, "So what's the game plan?"