XLIX

Hollis's pov

"No!" I scream.

I see Alessana laying on the floor. Her body isn't moving. Rushing to her side I carefully roll her over so she's on her back. Moving the dark hair mixed with white out of the way. My eyes well up with tears. I place my hand over her heart and see if I can feel a beat. There is nothing, just coldness. The tears escape my eyes. Warmth takes over my cheeks.

"Alessana please, please wake up." I cry.

Who did this to her? She was such a sweet caring woman. I don't understand how anyone can do this. Then I remember she was a witch. One that did everything in her power to make sure her and Dani where hidden. Where is Dani?

I stand up and stay next to Alessana's body. Going to every room I check and see if I find her too. All rooms end up being empty. I find myself standing in front of where the door to the basement would be. My hands run along the whole area. Hoping to find something to help me. All I feel is the smooth wall. Nothing sticking out or hidden.

Going back over to Alessana I get on my knees. Slowly I reach over to her. Pulling the collar of her shirt to the side I look for the keys. The chain isn't secured around her neck. I have a feeling if I just find those damn keys It will help. As I'm looking around I see Alessana's hand slightly move from the corner of my eye. My heart skips a beat. I move to feel the side of her neck. Still I feel no pulse move under my fingertips. A heavy sigh leaves me. Looking at her hand something catches my eye. A silver object peaking through her fingers. Carefully I open her closed palm. A tear rolls down my face. In her hand is her chain with the keys. Picking it up I let it dangle in front of me. I notice three keys are on the chain. What is the third one for?

From behind me I hear something. Looking over I see the door slowly show its self to me. Standing once again I make my way to it. Wiping my eyes of the tears that blur my vision. I pick the key to open the first door. Making sure to close it behind me I continue. Once I reach the next door I open it.

The room is light when I step in. Scanning the room my eyes land on Dani. She is on the ground with her wrist raises. Looking closer her wrist has a silver handcuff wrapped around it. The other handcuff is attached to the metal bar on the wall. Dani seems to be asleep from the look of her closed eyes and chest moving slowly. I go to her and place my hand on her back. I begin to shake her to get her to wake up. Her eyes fly open and panic is set in them.

"Hollis?" She yells. "Where's Alessana?"

"She ugh." I do t even know what to say.

"They got to her didn't they?" Dani asks with a broken voice.

Not able to say anything I just shake my head yes. Now it's the best time to go into asking her questions. A loud cry escapes Dani. Tears run down her face causing red blotches to appear. I watch as she yanks at the handcuffs. The material digs into her wrist. She doesn't care as she pulls harder. A small trail of blood moves down her arm. Looking at her I just watch as she yells and cries.

"Dani calm down for a second." I say as I mess with the keys.

I'm pretty sure I know what this third key is for now. She calms down at the sight of the key. My shaky hands go to the small key hole.

"Do you really have to be shaking right now? I mean come on." She says.

I roll my eyes at her remark. Not even bothering to reply I try to steady my hand. Once I've forced myself to calm down I unlock the handcuff. The second the material isn't bound around her, she gets up. Dani bolts to the stairs and disappears from my sight. The sound of her footsteps running up the stairs fades with every step closer. I should stay down here for a few minutes. Dani needs alone time with Alessana.