Chapter 3

-2 months later-

"Hey Aodhan," I smiled warmly, greeting him as he made his way into our school.

He wrapped me in a bear hug the second he saw me, gripping my back since his arms completely encircled me. I was a bit surprised by the intensity of the hug, but what else could I do? I was the poor kid's only friend, and sense the day of his arrival, he was mine. I hugged back.

"Everything okay?" I asked, pulling back to stare at him.

He nodded, staring past me. "I just had a long weekend. Let's get to class."

As we walked, the hall just got more and more crouded. Then, out've no where, Aodhan tripped and fell flat on his face, blood pouring from his nose. I turned to see Laura, smiling smuggly.

"Wasn't there something about the luck of the irish?" she asked, puckering her lip in mock sympathy and marched off, kicking Aodhan as she passed. He grunted quietly but didn't react other than that as he tried to get up.

I stretched out a hand and helped him up. his face was covered in blood since not only his nose caused it now but a nasty slip on his right cheek too. "You okay?" I asked, looking at him with concern.

"I'm fine. Let's get to class," he replied, repeating his comment from earlier.

But I wasn't going to allow that. I took him by his hand and all but dragged him to the nurses office. Mrs. Shantez widened her eyes when she saw us and immediately got to work on Aodhan, cleaning his cut and giving him a tissue and a bandaid and such.

"Zena," she said as she worked, "what happened?"

I opened my mouth to reply, ready to spill everything that happened in the hall, but Aodhan cut me off.

"I just fell is all. Hit my face on the lockers. I am well, though I thankyou for your kindness."

She raised an eyebrow at him and glanced at me. I was so confused. We could've gotten Laura into so much trouble she never bullied him again but he just didn't. He didn't rat her out or even mention her. Why didn't he say anything? I just stared at him.

"Well, Aodhan, it looks like you had a pretty bad fall. Let's try to be more careful, okay?" she handed us a pass and shut the door behind us.

I turned to stare at him. "What was that?" I asked, unable to understand him.

He just looked at me. "I refuse to sink to the intolerable immaturity of my fellow classmate." I stared at him harder. He just went all smart on me. He smiled softly at my obvious confusion. "Zena," he whispered, "if I told the truth and got her in trouble, that would make me no better than her. it only would've gotten worse."

Hey....I went pretty long without updating again, sorry. I wonder if anybody actually cares? People probably don't even read this. Lol I'm so talking to myself right now. Okay, well, comment, vote, lemme know what you think! Opinions, ideas? Message or comment them to me. Hope you enjoyed the update.