Chapter Four: Diamond Eyes

It was difficult being one of the only humans on the Council. For the first five or so years Poppy felt like the members looked at her like she was lunch. Even now she's cautious about wearing open neck shirts or short skirts. The only person who ever treated her like she was important was the other human Council member, and Sampson. He listened better than the rest of them, but sometimes she figured it was because it annoyed Amelia to no end. Either way, he was always reassuring. 

She didn't know why they kept her on the Council, they hardly ever asked her for her opinion. Maybe it was so that when the day comes for humans to find out about the Supernaturals they'll have proof that they've been coexisting for years. Hell of a way to 'coexist' if you asked her. 

They were speaking of the Consortiums, and the idea of implementing new policies. Amelia said something snobby, as usual, and Sampson said something witty in return. Poppy hid a smile. 

Madam Boudrealt adjourned the meeting then, and they all filed out of the room. Poppy waited for them all to leave before getting out of her seat. 

"Quite a show, eh?" Sampson said, startling her. 

"Oh!" She flushed. "I didn't know you were still here." 

He smiled, and it was almost genuine. "Sorry." 

"It's quite alright. Perhaps one day I'll become accustomed to the soundlessness of your kind." 

Sampson nodded. "Yes, perhaps."

He seemed lost in thought, so she made a move to leave. 

"By the way," he called after her and she turned around. "I was wondering if you would like to join Damian and myself for dinner Friday. We haven't eaten human food in about ten years. You can bring your husband if you'd like." 

Poppy wasn't sure what else there would be to eat other than human food, and figured that she didn't want to find out. "I'll have to find a babysitter, but I'll keep it in mind. See you tomorrow." 

"'May the forces of evil get lost on the way to your front doorstep'". He smiled once more and walked away. 

Sampson was full of sayings like that, and most of them confused and scared Poppy to think about. 

"Goodnight!" She called after him. 

Shaking her head, she walked down the corridor to the room where the portal was located. They always kept a sorcerer on call for the meetings and such occasions so that the Council members could return home quickly. It was a luxury that Poppy quickly accepted. She recently moved to Wales, and portal travel was the quickest way back home. When she reached the door she knocked three times and was greeted by Solomon, the sorcerer. 

"Evening Chairman Hayworth." He nodded politely. 

"Good evening Solomon. Is the portal ready?" 

"Yes it is, Chairman Hayworth." He answered.

Poppy nearly rolled her eyes. "Solomon, how long has it been since you started working here?" 

"Fifteen years Chairman Hayworth." 

"Fifteen years of me telling you to call me Poppy, and yet you still refuse!" She laughed, a sound that was rarely heard in the Council Hall. 

Solomon hurriedly shut the door behind them. "You know that I am not allowed to!" He hissed. 

"Oh to Hell with the rules! They're not all important. Just humor me. I've spent the last three hours in a room with ancient people that ignored me the entire time." 

"As you wish, Poppy. Now, the Portal is set to send you to Cardiff. There was a slight issue with frequencies so we couldn't get you into your building, but we did manage to get you at the corner."