Chapter 2: Escape to Mexico

Fallon never gave much thought as to what he'd do with his life. Never really had a reason to care. He always assumed he'd figure it out like he always did, just before it was too late. The one thing he did know about his future though, was that he'd be the one who made whatever life changing decision came his way. 

Apparently, he thought, I was wrong. 

He stared at the ivory envelope in his hands and felt the weight of its contents, even before opening it. It was almost like the letter called out to him, saying open me, open me, read your fate. With a trembling hand, that was only partially due to nerves, Fallon tore the envelope open and then stopped. 

He sucked in a breath. It had been a mistake to have opened the letter. If he had just left it sealed he could have pretended that he never got it. But then there would be the fact that his roommate had personally handed him the letter, and Fallon was sure he would rat him out. He also thought about how mail from the Administration doesn't get lost. There was also the fact that he was already in their system and was really the perfect candidate to enter into the Consortium, and…

Enough! He finally told himself. With resolution he unfolded the letter and began to read. 

Dear Mr. Devereux, 

It is with great pleasure that we the Administration request your enrollment…

He stopped paying attention after that. His eyes scanned the rest of the letter, but his brain was focused on other matters, like how to escape. There had to be some way out, like a car he could steal, or a bank he could rob. There was that guy down in Mexico that could give him a face transplant-

The dorm room opened then, and Fallon found himself wishing that he lived alone for the millionth time. Now he had a witness. 

"Letter of request I see," His roommate said, dropping his lunch on the small desk by the T.V. He walked over to Fallon and plucked the letter out of his hands with ease. Fallon had been eager to let go. "Though for the life of me, I can't figure out why'd they want you." 

Fallon realized he'd been spoken to, and he looked over to find his roommate staring at him expectantly. "Everyone want's me. It's my devilishly good looks." He sounded more collected than he felt. 

"Devilish, yes. Good, not so much." His roommate was of course referring to the number of tattoos that decorated Fallon's arms, chest, and torso, and the mischievous look that never seemed to leave his face. Even now, his face had that same grin and sparkling blue eyes that looked like they held secrets people would kill to know. 

He gave him a grin, the grin. The one that made the girls swoon. It was very forced, but his roommate didn't seem to notice. The two of them got along just enough to not kill each other, but no more. His roommate once told him that he thought he was an 'insolent little tyrant' but Fallon brushed it off with a wave and a comment about how he wasn't little

"…I'm just saying, why would they want you for early admission, but not me? It' doesn't make sense." His roommate didn't sound upset, only curious. It was a fair point really, it' didn't make any sense-at least if you didn't really know. 

Fallon suddenly found himself sitting on his bed, shaking. It was as if his heart stopped and then kickstarted again, picking up double time. He was trembling and had broken out in a cold sweat, but it was like his insides were made of ice. 

So that's why they want him. Oh God, Oh God, Oh crap-

"Hey, Devereux, you still listening? Yo, earth to Fallon."