Chapter 11

“Ummm…” Is all I can manage as I watch Darrius casually walk past me to Greg Humphrey, who is standing shell shocked, frozen to the spot one moment, and running for his life the next.

“Uh, uh, uh, I don’t think so,” Darrius, still in his wedding outfit, which was now stained and covered in blood from the security guards he killed inside his room, uses his vampire speed to cut off Mr. Humphrey down the hall, cutting off his exit with his head cocked to the side, a smug smile on his face.

“H-how?” Mr. Humphrey asks, anger now rising in his tone despite the fact he is most likely going to die any moment. I brace for the fact that I’m probably going to see Darrius rip his head off, clutching my camera to me, I stay where I am.

“I’ve never thought a human would ever be so stupid, to think they could outsmart vampires,” Darrius says mockingly, venom dripping from each word. He is thoroughly enjoying the fact that Mr. Humphrey has started to shake on the spot. One moment a proud politician, the next a cowering mess.

“Are you going to kill me?” Mr. Humphrey asks point blank.

“Oh no,” Darrius says, “I’m going to take you back with me and then I’ll publicly execute you, how about that?”

“You don’t have to try and sound so dramatic,” I say with a sigh.

Darrius’ eyes flick to mine.

“Isobel,” He says, “You should probably go.”

“Oh no, Maximus wants me back at the palace,” I say with fake enthusiasm.

“Wait a second,” Mr. Humphrey turns to glare at me, pointing at me accusingly, “You’re on their side, aren’t you?”

“I don’t know if you could say that…” I think back ironically to the fact I’m a vampire hunter.

As Mr. Humphrey is turned toward me, Darrius silently walks up behind him, grabs his shoulder and squeezes until Mr. Humphrey passes out a moment later.

“I believe there is another vampire,” I say, watching Darrius hoist the politician onto his shoulders, “Rafael? Who has been helping get you out. Apparently he has turned off all the security cameras in this building.” Darrius walks up to me with a nod and I think that even in his bloodied suit, he still looks like a Prince. His hair still looked perfect and his piercing blue eyes were so dark.

“Thank you for helping, what is the situation with Jennifer?” Darrius asks, trying not to appear too worried even though I can tell it’s eating him up.

“I don’t know –” I’m cut off by another voice, a new one.

“She is safe,” I turn around and Darrius raises his eyes to see another vampire standing at the end of the hall, dressed up in black. This vampire had unruly black hair, bronze skin and golden eyes.

He entered silently; it was creepy when vampires did that.

“Rafael, thank you,” Darrius says, “Where is Jennifer now?”

“Apparently your older brother has returned, he rescued her,” Rafael stalks up to us, acknowledging me with a quick look, “Pass me the politician, I’ll carry him out, you escape with Isobel, take the back exit, I made sure there is a clear path for you to leave. We don’t have long, they will soon realise the security guards are dead.”

“Isobel,” Darrius says while handing over Mr. Humphrey to Rafael, tossing him like a sack of potatoes, “Give me your phone, I need to make a call.”

I reach into my bag and give him the phone, “What’s the problem?” I ask.

“There is no problem,” Darrius says with a grin, “Jennifer is safe and my older brother has returned, we all thought he might have been murdered, but I knew he was alive.”

“Who is your older brother?” I ask curiously.

“Xavier,” Darrius says with joy, “I’m going to give him a call, Jennifer should be with him.”

I shrug, giving over the phone.

“Nice work,” Rafael says to me, “You are a vampire hunter, are you not?”

“Yes,” I say with a sigh. I was.

So why the hell was I helping vampires again?

Oh yeah, to make sure Maximus didn’t turn me. He said if I helped him that he would keep me human.

Let’s just hope he kept his promises.