Chapter 3

The way back up Beverly street was a peaceful one. That is until Laura started to cry and she had to halt mid-way to wipe the tears away.

"Jesus," she muttered as she vigorously swiped the back of her hands against her cheeks. It was of no use, the tears came back as quickly as she brushed them away. She couldn't quite explain the crying, she didn't feel sad after parting with Daniel. If anything, she felt like a weight had been lifted off her chest.

Maybe they were happy tears? No, they didn't feel happy.

When she felt ready to continue her journey, she realized that maybe these were grieving tears. Finally, she'd closed the door on Daniel and her mind was still processing that the two of them were now, officially, completely and utterly over. She wasn't crying because she was losing something, but because she was remembering passed time and as the tears fell down her rosy cheeks, she let go of all the hurt she'd been holding onto for nine whole months. These were tears of relief. Her body was releasing so much tension that it almost hurt.

When she arrived at Cup o' Joe, she was greeted with a worried Jane who immediately jumped to the conclusion that Laura was crying because Daniel had done something bad.

"What did he say?" She hissed as Laura plopped down on the chair across from her. "Did he hurt you? I swear to god I'm going to cut his balls off with freaking safety scissors if he hurt you again!"

Laura chuckled at the aggressiveness in her friend and shook her head. "No, it was fine. Didn't go exactly according to plan, but I'm alright. I did it."

Jane grinned at her words and leaned over the table to give her friend a hug. "Oh, I'm so proud of you!"

"Thank you, Jane. I'm proud of myself too."

"You should be!"

Jane waved at one of the waitresses nearby who swiftly made her way over to their table.

"So, how did it go?" Tanja, the waitress as well as the third member of their little trio, said as she kneeled by Laura's chair, her head in her hand as she waited anxiously.

"I talked to him," Laura hummed. "It was nice."

Tanja squealed out of delight and much like Jane did, she wrapped her arms around Laura's shoulders and gave her a good squeeze.

"I knew you could do it! You know what this calls for? Three nice glasses of ice cold lemonade, and don't you worry, it's on the house," Tanja grinned and shot them a sly wink.

"Aren't you on a shift?" Laura questioned and raised an eyebrow.

Tanja tsked, "I've had to overwork everyday for the past week, if anyone complains that I took a five minute break, which by the way are one of my employee rights, then I'll handle it."

The three girls laughed before Tanja went to fetch their drinks and for the first time in what felt like forever, Laura felt at complete ease.