Coming Home Pt. 2

Peter's class stood in the lobby, looking up at the high ceilings and ridiculously grand fixtures. Peter was less interested in the interior, having seen it a million times, and was more interested in who was on security detail today. To his surprise Happy had just come through the back doors of the lobby and was taking a position near the front receptionist. Peter strolled over to him casually.

"Happy!" Ned ran over.

"Hey, boys," Happy chuckled, a smile tugging at his lips. "How are you doing, Ned?"

"Good!"

The three made chit-chat until the teacher came over to check the class in. A intern came down the main, public elevator. Peter knew her, actually, she typically did work for Pepper's office! She must be the guide today, seeing as Pepper's office usually made all the tour reservations.

"Peter," the tall blonde woman smiled. "It's nice to see you! You haven't been to work with your mom lately."

"I've been working with Dad on a new suit, so I'm mostly in the upper labs." Peter rubbed a hand over the back of his neck.

Flash was staring at Peter, trying to make sense of the interaction. "So now you're whole family works here?" he finally hissed. "Convincing. What, did you pay her off?"

Peter rolled his eyes, thankful the intern, Allison, hadn't heard Flash's remarks.

"Welcome, Midtown High! My name is Allison and I will be the guide today. I work in Mrs. Stark's office, so while I won't be particularly helpful with science questions, I will be able to tell you all about the history of the tower and the Stark Industry. We will be taking a small detour up to the labs at some point today, as well as having a Q and A with some of the executives around here later, though, and they can answer all of your science questions then.

"Now, we have to pass through a security check. There is a metal detector, standard for any high security building, as well as guest badges, which must be worn at all times here in the tower."

Allison began to hand out badges, skipping Peter. Ned looked at Peter confusedly, seeing as Ned usually went through the back entrance with Peter and didn't use a badge. 'Sorry' mouthed Peter, feeling very self conscious suddenly.

The class passed through the metal detectors, and Happy pulled Peter aside. He knew the alarms would go off if Peter went through the detectors, seeing as Peter kept one of Natasha's knives on him at all times. Happy ushered him around the checkpoint.

"Why'd he skip?" Flash asked. Happy raised an eyebrow.

"Because I said."

Finally they were scanning badges. FRIDAY's voice rang out through the lobby, each time saying the same thing.

"Hello, guest. Omega 1 Clearance."

When it got to Peter, however, FRIDAY's tone changed.

"Welcome home, Peter. I was told to inform you that the schedule changed and that you should expect to see family soon."

Peter smiled sheepishly. "Thanks, Fri."

Allison smiled at the teen. "Now," she said, addressing the class. "Up to the labs!"

The class filed into the elevators, heading to the main intern floor, floor 25. It was a huge lab, but not one with many interesting things happening. Peter only half listened to Allison's speech on the history of the tower and what the interns were working on, since he already knew.

The class meandered through the lab, taking in all the work being done. Then Allison ushered them back into the elevator.

"That was just the first level lab. The higher you go, the more advanced things are happening."

"What's on the top levels?" Cindy asked.

"The top 5 levels are private, being Dr. Rhodes lab, the penthouse where the family lives, the training deck, the med bay, and Dr. Banner and Mr. Stark's lab. Peter can probably tell you all about those levels, though, I've never been up there," she ended with a laugh, and Peter chuckled slightly.

"Our next stop is the labs below the private ones. This is where the most advanced technology is developed, besides the private projects of the family and the Avengers work."

"Why do you keep saying family?" Cindy asked yet another question.

"Oh," Allison stalled. "Well, Mr. and Mrs. Stark live in the penthouse. The Avengers moved in about 6 years ago to help them raise their son, so ever since then, its been the family."

The class erupted into whispers of the Stark's having a son. Peter blushed faintly, but soon picked up a noise from upstairs. The noise of someone moving to the elevator and calling for someone to join them. Peter could tell it was his father and Uncle Bruce nearly instantly, as they only got louder and more clearly understood as the elevator moved closer. They were arguing about what alloy to use in a conductor for the new suits.

"Silver," Peter called to them as the elevator doors slid open. "Use silver."

The two men looked up, startled. Then thought for a moment. It was Tony who came to his senses first, hurrying over to give Peter an affectionate ruffle of the hair. "You're right."

Bruce laughed lightly and shot Ned a wave before coming over to Peter.

"Thanks, bud."

Allison cleared her throat. "Class, this is Dr. Banner and Mr. Stark."

All eyes were suddenly on the two men, one with their fingers tangled in Peter's hair, the other standing near Ned.

"Hey, kids," Tony smiled. "Welcome to Stark Industries."

Bruce led a quick tour around the lab, showing off new tech and various projects. He warned them of explosions, sending Peter a knowing look. "Peter should be the one to tell you all about that, though, he nearly melted 2 million dollars worth of equipment the other day."

"Not my fault," Peter coughed, much to Ned's amusement. It hadn't been Peter's fault, really it had been Ned's. Peter had taken the fall for his friend, like he always did.

"Whatever," Bruce continued, showing off various equipment. Flash caught Peter's eye, and the look screamed 'I don't believe this for a second.' Peter knew there would be trouble later, but right now, he was having his dad brush through his hair and tinkering with magnets he had found on a table.

Eventually the group was asked to come to the level just below this one, to meet some of the other executives.