05

weeks pass, and mingyu still hasn't had any good luck with running into wonwoo. wonwoo's number sits dormant in mingyu's contact list, and he's honestly contemplating concocting another lie just to have an excuse to call the boy up.

he's sitting on a bench outside his workplace, a small café called jam jam. it's his break time, but he doesn't feel like spending it inside where his coworkers would try small talk with him while they eat lunch. none of them knew him well enough to gauge his personality, and he didn't feel comfortable enough talking with them about his problems.

he spends far too long staring at wonwoo's contact on his phone. it's only a mobile number with no profile picture, but mingyu finds his finger automatically hovering over the call button.

his heart races like it never has before. he's not someone who usually calls first - he's normally the one accepting calls from random people he barely remembers meeting at various parties. his contact list is filled with 'guy with brown hair at jihoon's' or 'girl wearing cute jumper at jeonghan's', so maybe that's why his connection with wonwoo means so much to him.

wonwoo may be flirty and confident around mingyu, but he's also incredibly gentle and caring. he never goes too far when touching mingyu, he always respects boundaries, and he actually listens. he often makes the first move, but mingyu's sure it's because wonwoo knows mingyu's fine with it.

wonwoo's the first person mingyu's met at a party who actually wanted to get to know his personality, not just his body. mingyu has never been opposed to hookups in the past, and it was always consensual - but since meeting wonwoo, mingyu feels as if everything he's ever known is pointless.

he doesn't just crave wonwoo's touch; he craves everything about him. he wants to know what wonwoo's favourite food is, what he sounds like after waking up, what his childhood was like. mingyu wants to spend every waking moment, sober or not, getting to know jeon wonwoo.

"boo!" there's sudden hands on mingyu's shoulders, causing him to jump and nearly scream. his hand desperately clamps onto his phone, which had nearly slipped and fallen to the ground. he whirls around and glares at the perpetrator - his coworker, chan - and is preparing to yell at him when there's sudden sound coming from his phone's speaker, stopping him in his tracks.

"hello?" the voice is muffled through the phone, but mingyu's eyes widen at the sound of it. in his rush to save his phone from dropping, he'd accidentally pressed the call button.

"shit," mingyu whispers. chan isn't sure what's going on, but he can see how stressed mingyu looks, so he makes an apologetic face and backs away, slinking back into the café.

"hello? anyone there?" wonwoo says through the phone, and mingyu's heart leaps at the sound of it. he's ready to hang up and pretend it never happened, but he figures that if he ever manages to get wonwoo's number again in the future, he'll find out that mingyu called him once upon a time and it'll all be really embarrassing to explain.

"h-hey, wonwoo," mingyu brings the phone up to his ear, turning it off speaker.

"oh. is that mingyu?" wonwoo asks patiently, not sounding too taken aback, which is a good sign.

"yeah!" mingyu replies, a nervous laugh slipping out, "um, so, turns out... i found a back up of your number?"

"you don't sound too sure," wonwoo laughs, and mingyu can feel his smirk through the phone.

"well, i did, and i decided to call you," mingyu blurts indignantly, "so hello."

"hello," wonwoo says, his voice deepening slightly. "i'm glad you called me."