10. A New Tradition

ARI.

Who knew Luke Hemmings could actually be fun? The blonde quiff, preppy style, stupid friends, and his belittling demeanor was all he was known for. But here he was, sitting next to me, driving to Los Angeles with the music blasting from the speakers and an outrageously ginormous grin etched on his face. This side of Luke was a side I didn't even know was capable of being inside the Aussie, but boy did he really show me up.

"I can't believe we're doing this right now," I threw my hands to my head, not knowing how my limbs should function in a time like this. "Who the fúck are you Hemmings?"

"What the hell are you talking about?" he bellowed with a chuckle, even he could sense my weirdness that was beginning to exude.

"Of all people to have an LA adventure with and I'm having it with you," I expressed, emphasizing the word 'you' with a playful shove of his shoulder.

"Why is it so hard to believe?" he questioned, "I love the city."

"No, I mean, who doesn't love the city? I'm talking about your spontaneity. I've known you since you moved to Percival Shores, so about a year and a half. And not once did I ever get the impression that Luke - whatever your middle name is - Hemmings is the type of guy to do things on a whim," I explained, moving my hands at the same time to better enhance the confusing feelings I was having.

"Okay, so maybe you're right," Luke agreed, taking a quick second to look at me, "I'm not one to really take crazy risks but you've seen my friends. They're more polished and enjoy other things. If I were in LA with them, we'd be going to trendy rooftop parties."

"Can you even get into those? You're not even 18 yet," I pointed out. "Or 21, aren't those things 21 and up only?"

"Trust me, when you're someone like Jake Hansen or Katie McQuaid, who both have very prominent parents, you can get into anywhere," Luke disclosed. His tone of voice almost sounded like a shudder, like he was almost disgusted to have TMZ-worthy friends like Jake and Katie.

"You're not taking me to some ritzy rooftop party are you?" I raised a brow.

"Fúck that... no we're going to Milk!" Luke announced happily.

"We're getting milk?" I repeated, puzzled with his idea of dessert.

"Not getting Milk, going to Milk," he corrected. I was still confused, "do you known what French macarons are?"

"You mean macaroons?"

"No, macaroons are the lumps of coconut biscuit things. Macarons are the small French pastries that look like Pretty Patties,"

"Hold up," I said, holding my hand out, "did you just reference Spongebob?"

"Yea so?" Luke shrugged, "are you against sponges? Don't be racist!"

"I'm not racist against sponges you dimwit," I laughed, "I freaking love Spongebob that's all. I didn't think you watched cartoons."

"I love cartoons. My friends like MTV," and with that simple justification, I already knew that watching Spongebob was something Luke couldn't enjoy to the fullest without his so-called friends judging him.

I nodded my head, "I see, I see. Sucks, man... but tell me more about these macarons?"

"Oh yea," Luke jumped in his seat, re-grasping the wheel with utter excitement. He was such a big child, "so Milk is a place where you can get ice cream filled macarons! Different flavors and everything. It's amazing."

"Wow, that actually does sound good," I admitted, surprised of how I've never heard of the place before. Then again, trips to Los Angeles weren't something I did often like Luke apparently did.