IV

I can't decide whether to be in awe by the B4 substation or to hate it. The giant structure in the void of space, central to the B4 system, is a feat only understood by the smartest of engineers. As are the rest of the substations and even the main GTA outlet station. As we make our final approach to the flight dock, everyone in the launch room seems to strain against the belts on our seats, trying for a better view through the window.

The structure itself is massive, a size beyond words. The shades of light to dark grey metal standing out against the dark, star-studded blackness. Each part slowly rotates in place, simulating the GTA standard of gravity, the same as Prime 3. The shuttle jerks as the couplings attach and lock, holding the shuttle to the flight deck of the substation. Quickly, we're all herded out of the launch room to join the rest of the Aorian visitors in the airlock of the substation.

We're forced into the airlock so quickly that I stumble and back into someone behind me as I'm turned around, facing the shuttle. Looking to see who I ran into, I take a step to the side to keep from being pushed over in the crowded area. I look up at a tall figure with light features, just like every other Aorian, but a small mark above his right eyebrow sends icy shock through my body.

A small scar just above his right eyebrow, the length of a centimeter was the result of chasing me around the outside of the bungalow when I was six. The four of us, Shawn, my parents and I had been outside, enjoying a warmer day out in the sand. I remember Shawn was showing me how to make a proper sand castle and I had shoved sand down his shirt. I ran around the bungalow, squealing as Shawn ran after me. When he finally caught me, Shawn slung me across a shoulder and spun me in the air, my twin pigtails flying everywhere. But those beautiful five seconds of pure happiness ended in Shawn tripping and the both of us fell to the ground. Right before we hit the sand, Shawn twisted to take the majority of the fall. I was fine, only a few small scrapes, but Shawn has hit his head on a small rock that was hidden by the sand.

I'm about to reach out to him, tears starting to burn my eyes when the light in the room shifts, bringing his face more into the light. My heart stops and my mouth drops in a silent gasp. My feet are stuck in place and it's a good thing too, it keeps me from embarrassing myself in front of all of the other Aorians. His nose is too angular, jaw not sharp enough. He's just some Aorian. He's not Shawn.

"Citizens of B4-D19, Aoria, welcome to the B4 GTA substation. As I'm sure some of you have noticed, while we've done everything we can to make the transition from planet side to open station and easy one, there will be some acclimating needed to adjust.

"The change in atmo pressure, because it's simulated, can cause dizziness, fatigue, and even in extreme cases, hallucinations." This message of utter annoyance is relayed by a GTA agent at the front of the airlock. I struggle to see him and his colleagues, so I eventually give up, settling for crossing my arms and slacking my hips to the side while phasing out the majority of their speech, still catching bits and pieces.

I think back to what Shawn had told me about when he was taken to the substation, scanning the walls to put his words to the layout. The station is set up much like a carrier, each corridor has compartment numbers above on the rafting. My eyes find the labeling above the agents' heads 3-75-25-D, we're on the third deck, seventy-five compartments forward of the ship's frame, twenty-fifth compartment outboard of the centerline to the starboard side and the compartment is used for docking smaller crafts like the shuttle we arrived on.

"...navigating the substation shall be hard at first. This is a very large craft and learning the directional triangulation will take time, people typically get the hang of it right before leaving the craft..."