Chapter 35

THREE YEARS LATER

@AlexAllTimeLow: @FinHGaskarth needs to get her butt off that plane before I climb in there and grab her myself

Typical Alex. I rolled my eyes and tucked my phone back into my pocket.

The airport was busy, as airports usually are, filled with tourists and businessmen, and then the odd loner, like me. It felt a little weird to be all by myself; usually when I’m flying somewhere it’s something to do with the band and I have everyone else with me. Although, technically speaking, this is to do with the band.

I was waiting at baggage claim and leaning against my luggage trolley (which wasn’t the best idea, seeing as trolleys have wheels) as I watching the conveyor belt for my stuff to get there. They were only beginning to unload the luggage from the plane, which meant that I could be there for another half an hour, depending on how much there was.

@FinHGaskarth: @AlexAllTimeLow it has been confirmed that my butt is no longer on the plane. See ya soon!

There were three things that I was waiting for. The first I’d just spotted; my suitcase. I grabbed it quickly and dragged it onto my trolley. One down.

@JackAllTimeLow:@FinHGaskarth if it makes you hurry up, I’m waiting in the car w/ @AlexAllTimeLow and he’s just started rapping... help urgently required

A bark made me look up. I beamed.

“Hey, bud,” I said, looking into the crate. McClane glowered back at me. He didn’t like being left alone for so long, so he was kind of pissed at me because of the lonely plane journey.

McClane was a seventeenth birthday present from Alex. He’s some weird pitbull mix that we found at the pound. No one’s completely sure what breed he is, but he’s a dark chocolate colour with short and stiff hair, a thick snout and perky ears. He’s got one brown eye and one blue eye, which I read somewhere means that he can see into both life and death, which is sort of like me, and my near-death experience.

We called him McClane after the guy in Die Hard. I guess it was sort of after Jacob, seeing as Jacob was the person I watched that film with, but Alex was the one who was most enthusiastic about the name.

“He’s your protector,” Alex said, scratching the dog behind his ears, “For when I can’t be there. Your personal John McClane.”

Although he didn’t do a particularly good job. McClane was little less ‘knight-in-shining-armour’, a little more ‘whimpering pile of fluff who exploits puppy-dog-eyes in order to gain dog biscuits’.

“I’ll let you out in a second,” I told McClane, “I just need to get my camera stuff, and then we can go, okay?”

Maybe I’m weird for talking to a dog. But judging by the sigh he gives me, I think he understands.

@AlexAllTimeLow: @JackAllTimeLow @FinHGaskarth don’t pretend you don’t love my rapping! (also hurry up)