Chapter 18

Friday.

I had never been adopted before. Shipped to numerous foster homes and countless care facilities, but this time someone had chosen me to be part of their family. This time, I would be going to an actual home.

My usual morning routine consists of a few wake-up alarms to wake me up, and then another few to annoy me enough to get me out of bed. After that it’s a lot of sitting and stretching and yawning, but not a whole lot of movement. By the time I’m dressed I don’t have time to eat breakfast and end up ramming some burnt toast in my mouth as I rush at the door, and that’s not even getting into when I have homework due for that day that I haven’t done yet.

But today was different. Today was Friday, which by itself screams freedom and joy. And this particular Friday meant freedom for me. Forever.

So when I heard the first morning alarm go off, I leaped out of bed. My shower couldn’t have taken more than thirty seconds, which is practically a felony in my book; I’m the queen of long showers. I’d already packed everything, all of my belongings were folded away in bags and boxes by the door. I slipped on the clothes I’d laid out for today, then almost fell over my feet running down the stairs.

“Wha...umph...” Groaned Alex from the living room. I glanced in the doorway; he was curled up uncomfortably on the campbed. His hair was a mess, which made me laugh a little. His legs were a little too long, red socks decorated with sumo wrestlers poked at from under the covers.

“I’ve been contemplating waking him for the past thirty minutes,” the Carer said from behind me, making me jump.

“But you haven’t?”

“He looks so cute, sleeping,” she chuckled. “What are you doing up, anyway? I wasn’t sure you knew what A.M. meant.”

“Shut up,” I grumbled. Then I paused. I was never good at these conversations, but after Jacob yesterday... well, maybe I was on a roll. “So I’m getting adopted today...”

“You are,” the Carer prompted. “I wasn’t sure if you ever would.”

“Me neither,” I admitted, “but I just wanted to say... in the time I’ve been here, you’ve been nothing but kind to me, and... I just wanted to thank you for that. I know that I didn’t deserve it all.”

“Oh, Finley-”

“No, really. I was kinda messed up when I arrived, I still am a bit, but you really helped, or at least tried to, even if I didn’t want it. And it means a lot.”

The Carer - Aisling - sighed. She wrapped her arms around me, squeezing tightly. “That’s my job, Finley. I help the ones who don’t want it until they don’t need it.”

Alex didn’t wake up until a lot later, although he insisted that it was “pretty early by his standards.” We scoffed down some breakfast, and then left in his car to my social worker’s office.

Cassia was waiting for us in her office.

“Sit, please,” She said, “so, I understand that you want to sign some adoption papers today.”

“That’s the plan,” said Alex. I looked at him, wondering for a second how this had happened. How he’d picked me.

“Well, I have all of the forms here, but first of all I’d just like to talk to you both,” Cassia said, “I know you’re both looking forward to this, but there are some things that worry me. In particular; Alex, your lifestyle means that you’re not at home a lot. How do you plan on creating a home for Finley if you also plan on living this way?”