Chapter 7- So Cliched...

“Yum! This is the best milkshake I’ve ever had! How come you hid this special talent of yours from me?” I say to Josh, sipping a milkshake that he had made for me.

“I’m glad you like it.” he says, and looks out the window, “You know, it’s already seven, I’m kind-of worried about Connor. It’s been five hours…Should we go look for him?”

“I think so. I wouldn’t want anything to happen to him while our mom’s are out.” I say.

We grab our jackets and head out the door, walking towards the canoe shack. As we approach, we see that the lights are on, but dim. I shoot Josh a confused glance and we walk in, to be greeted by Connor and Jessie, who are making out…

“Oh my God! Um! I-uh, I’m just going to go. I’ll see you-uh, tomorrow?” Jessie says, startled, after breaking away from Connor.

Connor runs his hand though his messed-up hair, and nods, his face as red as a tomato.

I giggle and squeeze Josh’s hand as we follow Connor out the door.

“Josh! That was so humiliating! You totally ruined it! Ugh!” Connor says, stomping his way ahead of us towards the house.

“Sorry, Bro. I didn’t know. But, I’m guessing you two really hit it off, huh?” Josh says.

I hit him in the stomach, and even through the darkness of the sky, I can see Connor’s face boiling as he turns around to face us.

“Bastard.” Connor mumbles, before turning back around and running for the house.

“Josh!” I say, “You ruined his first kiss!”

“Oh gosh, I didn’t know, alright! Stop pelting me with complaints!” Josh exclaims.

I let go of his hand, startled.

“We’ve been dating for two weeks and your already telling me everything I do wrong! It’s getting on my nerve, Madi!” he yells again.

In response, I just stand there like a deer in the headlights, starting at him. He says this so suddenly, that I don’t know exactly how to react.

“Is that what you really think I do?” I finally say, tears building up in my eyes, “Is it? Are we really going to break up because of you walking in on your brother kissing and me commenting on it? That’s it? A stupid reason like that is going to cause us to ruin our relationship?”

I break out, sobbing into my hands.

 Josh begins, “B-break up? Who said anything about-“

“You know what? Save it. If we’re already fighting after two weeks, then I don’t understand how this is going to work out…” I say, and begin walking back to the house, tears slowly falling down my cheeks.

“Madi?” I hear the next morning, “It’s Connor.”

He knocks on my door repeatedly, until I finally clear my throat and say, “Come in.”

“Hey.” he says entering, “Wow, don’t you look…cute.”

I scoff. What a nice kid, trying to make me feel better. My hair looks like straw, my face is red and splotchy from crying, and my eyes are puffed up to about the size of golf balls. Let’s just say that the judges of America’s Next Top Model would not look my way.

“Listen,” he starts, “I know your not necessarily in the mood to give relationship advice, and plus, I should be comforting you…But do you mind giving me some hints?”

I sigh, “Sure, why not?”

I sniffle, and clear my bed of tissues, mostly. He sits down next to me and looks down at the floor.