c h a p t e r e i g h t

I looked into the aquarium

The fish were swimming in the water, gently and effortlessly.

Not knowing or caring about the problems on the other side of the glass.

Just caring for themselves.

Without single care in the world, but to keep swimming.

Just keep swimming.

They could leave everything behind.

All their worries, stress, pain, and never go back to it.

That's the feeling I was jealous of right now.

Because right now, the only feelings I was able to feel were pain, stress, confusion, and anger.

I was drowning in those emotions, trying to catch something that will bring me back up, away from all of this.

But that ledge of hope that I was trying so hard to find was nowhere to be seen.

I looked at the floor, away from the glass tank which was filled with colorful fish.

My eyes met the blue carpet, designs were present on it, the color of the light blue sky when it is starting to rain.

All those emotions revolved around him.

The Merman.

There were so many things about him that made me question my sanity.

Why did I care so much about him? Why did I feel this way? Why did I feel his pain? Why was I the only person that it happened to?

Hell, some of those emotions were his, it felt.

As if they broke inside my head, and taunted me.

And then Doctor Shaun said something that still bothers me.

A spiritual connection with you. That's why you wanted us to stop. That's why you felt the pain.

I didn't even see Mrs. Black sit next to me.

"Aria, are you feeling okay?" she asked gently, cautious of the reaction she'll get.

Her hand found her way to my arched back, slowly starting rubbing it.

I sighed.

I looked at her, getting my eyes off the glass, and told her the truth.

" I don't know."

Her eyebrows were furrowed in concern.

" Do you want to talk about it?" she questioned softly.

A moment of silence filled the quiet room.

The only sound present was the churning of the water that the filter pushed inside the tanks.

Words wouldn't leave my mouth.