Chapter Six

There's an author's note at the end of this. Read if you want. If you don't, read it anyway, because I'm watching.

~~~~~~~~~~~

   I am going to punch that bird right in its inconvenient beak, I think as I'm rudely awoken by a bluebird outside my window. Normally I have no problem with birds, but when one wakes me at "What the fuck?" o'clock after a late night, I kind of feel in the mood for chicken for the rest of the day.

   I grumble as I roll off my bed and onto my white carpeted floor. Graceful, Erin. You should be a ballerina. I lift myself up lazily and walk into the bathroom. I do my bathroom business and I momentarily thank the bird for forcing me to get up. It's normally a Hunger Games-type battle for the bathroom every morning between my sister and me: may the odds be ever in my favor. Since I'm up early I can take as long as I want making myself not look like a deranged hedgehog.

   Before that though, I must fill this void in my stomach. I walk back into my room and grab my iPod because I can never just eat; I need to actually be doing something while I stuff my face. Yesterday morning I read while I chewed corn flakes. Today I will be watching YouTube videos while I eat toaster waffles.

   As I push my waffles skillfully into the toaster oven with a fork (burnt finger, my ass), I try and decide what I'm going to watch today. While I'm thinking, I open my Twitter app just to give me some ideas.

   I scroll through my timeline without really reading anything but one tweet catches my eye: "Niall's Secret Princess" It's an article by some irrelevant gossip website that has tens of thousands of retweets. Partially out of curiosity and partially out of dread, I tap the article while I reach into the toaster oven.

   "AAARGHH!" I yell, having accidentally touched the top of the oven instead of grabbing my glorious waffles. I got distracted by the article and I didn't pay attention to the fact that I just blindly stuck my hand into Fahrenheit 451. Mr. Bradbury would be proud.

   I waddle childishly to the sink fill a plastic ducky cup with cold water. I stick my entire left hand into the cup and sigh with relief as my finger is soothed. I lift my iPod up again and continue reading as my finger soaks:

   'The boys of the pop sensation One Direction are famous for their 'lady stories', what with member Zayn Malik being accused of cheating on girlfriend Perrie Edwards on countless events and other member Harry Styles controversially dating TV presenter Caroline Flack who was over fifteen years older than the boy at the time. Other members Louis Tomlinson and Liam Payne have had steady girlfriends for a large part of the band's career with almost no problems or backlash. All that's left is Niall Horan.

   'The Irish heartthrob happens to be the only member of 1D who hasn't had a girlfriend since their days on the British reality show The X Factor. He was rumored to have been interested in singer Demi Lovato for a while, but all that simmered down after she stated she'd rather not be in a relationship at that time. Other than that, Mr. Horan has not been affiliated with any girl for an extended period. But from what recent media might suggest, this bachelor has finally found a lady-friend.

   'Videos and pictures taken by fans who observed it happening report Niall isolating one girl throughout their entire New Jersey concert last night. Concert-goers say that during the opening song, Niall spotted this girl right away and stopped singing to whisper something into her ear. The pictures show Niall holding the hand of an anonymous red-haired girl and holding a microphone to his mouth. The videos are short and posted by multiple different fans who were sitting behind her and they each have the boy band singer serenading the girl.

   'Is this mystery girl the next 1D girlfriend? From the evidence, she looks a bit younger than Mr. Horan himself, and he comes to her so often throughout the concert that we can't help but think there's something going on between them. One Direction's management has not made a comment on the rumored couple and neither have any of the boys. We guess we'll have to wait until the relationship is confirmed to say anything with this fiery-haired fan is official. Until then, keep your hopes up, Niall fans.'