Chapter Four

Two months later.

I sat at a table, watching Neiko as he had his head over a pile of books studying I was admiring his eyes, they were brown and gold, shinning with dullness as he continued to read the dull book, I smiled watching his pouty lips softly move to the words he was reading, the sharpness of his jaw. Everything. My daydreams were interrupted when a bang hit my fence, I jumped, I couldn't Die, but Neiko was not a Reaper yet, he could, I jumped up staring at the door, when it it again.

It sounded like someone was throwing their body against my iron fence, a third crash sent me out the door and staring, as a hord of the Dead piled up against my fence trying to get over it, they could smell Neikos skin that had blood still running through his veins. And they were hungry. Panic settled in my stomach, and fear of losing him began worrying me, I ran inside and threw the book he was reading, smashing it against another wall covered in books, creating a waterfall of dangerous reading materials.

“Hey I was reading that.” He complained watching the books begin falling.

“I dont care you obviously weren't enjoying it, and there is someone at the door for you, they're asking for your life and to consume your delicate flesh.” I replied bitterly. Glaring. “So come on.” I hissed pulling him out the back door, the whole property was surrounded by them, then they began climbing over. I began pulling their souls as fast as I could, one after another they piled up behind me like kindergarteners in a line.

“How can I help.” He questioned shaking my arm. I turned around.

“You can't I haven't taught you how to pull souls yet.” I shouted starting to get overrunned.

“Can I even?” He asked quietly. I sighed.

“Yes you have spent enough time with me and the Devil accepts you as my apprentice. You have done all the reading and have achieved all the things you need to. But I have not taught you so stay back.” I shouted my arms began hurting, trying to pull all these souls, Neiko observed me for a few more minutes before putting his hand out, I hissed and the thought of him getting bit spreading fear threw my body. He touched one, and it fell down dead. The soul pulling from it, he looked at me, giving me a girly smile and squealing.

“I took my first soul!” he shouted I smiled, forgetting we were getting overrun until I was bit three times in the arm, I shouted and pulled souls, me and Neiko began tag teaming the soul taking and hundreds of souls sat behind us, trying to wander around and talk. And after about an hour the Dead had all been cleared, my arm throbbing.

“Oh, hows your arm?” He asked again, I looked at it, the infection spreading, it was still seeping blood and pus was glistening on the top of them, blister looking things covered my arm. I re hid it.

“Its doing much better.” I smiled.

“So was that all the Zombies?” He asked quietly.

“First of they aren't Zombies they are Ribingudeddo’s, and no. Thats just the beginning of it.” Neiko reached over and squeezed my hand comfortably I gave him a shy smile. Worry was beginning settling in the pit of my stomach.

+                      +                      +

Our footsteps echoed down the deserted street, dead bodies littered the scorching pavement, half eaten and rotting. The scraps left for the rats and bugs to consume on their own time, the Dead now looking for fresher meat. I tore my eyes away from the disgusting road and began pulling the souls of the eaten. Neiko slowly pulling others.

There was a low moan coming towards up, I backed up and shielded Neikos fragile mortal body. Listening.

“What are you doing I can take care of myself.” He defended himself trying to shove past me, I blocked is path and shoved him back.

“I cant afford to have you die on me.” I hissed, glaring towards the direction of the noise, it was getting closer, Neiko’s smell attracting it. I froze, staring at the hungry figure that rounded the corner. A young girl, broken bones and dragging a shattered ankle behind her, bullet wounds scattered her body, old dried blood caked her white mud splattered dress. Her hair ratted and barely hanging from her head, she looked as though she went from hell and back. She moaned, her broken rotting black teeth shooting the foul smell of human flesh. The scratches on her face seemed to pulse.

My feet were frozen, I couldn't move. “Anne.” I whispered tears pricking at my eyes. Neiko was shaking me, my eyes zoned in on her torchered body I was frozen in place. Until Neiko got around me, as he reached her hand to stop her and pull her soul I snapped out of it.

“No!” I shouted running towards him and grabbing his arm, trying to yank him back. Only now it was too late. His fingers brushed her cheek, pulling her soul and the body she was trapped in fell to the ground in a heap of another dead mess. Uncontrollable sobs shook my knees so hard I fell, I touched her face and rubbed her dead arms. The feeling of cold dry skin met my fingertips.

“She wasn't supposed to die till old age. She had a good life and was happy. No no Anne please.” I cried even though her soul was observing my every move behind Neiko.

“Who is Anne?” Neiko questioned, holding the young ghosts hand.

“She's my sister.” I sobbed turning around and hugging the ghost. One of the perks of being a Reaper you can touch the ghosts. She hugged me back, her arms cold and light. Suddenly bullets began raining down on us, Neiko jumped forwards and shoved me back, bullets shattering his back, I was still holding Anne even though nothing could happen to her now. “Neiko!” I shouted being covered by his body, his blood being spilled. I shoved him back trying to get him off me. Survivors were attacking us, claiming we were the devil, we killed a Zombie by touching it. “The bullets can't kill me they can kill you!”  I shouted, his body began getting weak and arms shaking, he collapsed on me, I wrapped my arms around him tightly flipping him so I was on top, his eyes shining the pain he was obviously feeling. I shut my eyes and transported him. Back to my house, I knocked over a bunch of books and layed him on a table so his back was up I tore off his shirt; Anne watching quietly in fear.

“Neiko I have to heal you. This is going to hurt but I can't lose you.” I whimpered. He looked at me threw the corner of his glazed over eyes.

“Why.” He searched for an answer in my teary eyes.

“Because I love you.” I broke down, my salty tears stinging his back. I looked away, trying to hold the tears back, as I gingerly touched his bullet wounds. Beginning the healing process and praying to a god I didn't think listened, that I was going to save him.