Chapter 12: Becoming a Hero

A sharp pain laced through Pennator’s head as he fought himself into consciousness.

‘This better not become a regular thing,’ he thought as light finally broke through his eyelids.

‘You’re right about that,’ said Caleb, ‘It’s boring when you’re unconscious.’

Pennator chuckled, then groaned slightly as the pain made itself apparent again. Once he could fully open his eyes he glanced around at his surroundings.

It looked like a tent, a large white tent. There were wooden beams holding up the canvas at the top, and the soft material he was laying on was actually a round bed. He was stretched out at the moment but if he was to sleep he would probably curl up, making the bed ideal.

As far as he could tell, he was the only dragon in the tent, along with an unconscious yellow dragon at the other end. He groaned as he slowly got up from the bed, making sure he didn’t make his head hurt again.

‘The useful thing about being in your head is that I get to see you get all the injuries,’ said Caleb with a laugh, ‘It’s actually quite amusing.’

‘Shut up,’ snarled back Pennator.

When he was able to stand up, he started to walk towards the open entrance of the tent.

‘Maybe we should wait for someone,’ suggested Caleb with a mental shrug.

‘No, Recon might need some help, and I don’t see him anywhere here,’ he said.

‘Why not just ask someone, like the blue dragon over there,’ said Caleb, pointing out the blue dragon that was flying towards the tent.

‘Okay, I’ll ask him,’ said Pennator.

As soon as the dragon landed the he walked up to him, “Hey could you tell me where…?”

The blue dragon cut him off, “What are you doing up? You’re supposed to be in bed. A hit as bad as that doesn’t heal instantly you know.”

Pennator growled slightly, “Well excuse me for healing. Now, can you tell me where Recon is?”

“He’s still fighting, but don’t think you can join in, you’ve still got to heal,” he said.

“I’m perfectly fine!” replied Pennator stretching out his wings, and then groaning as the action made his head hurt.

“See, now get some rest,” he said, “You should be right by tomorrow.”

“No way,” replied Pennator, “I aint staying in there while there’s something that is way more exciting happening out there.”

“Fighting with a head injury is dangerous,” replied the ice dragon with a slight snarl, “Even the most basic dragons know that.”