Chapter 6: A Bit of Explaining

That morning, when Caleb woke up, he felt refreshed, very refreshed. He smiled and slipped out of bead. It was a weekend so he didn't have to get ready for school or anything. That day he planned to tell Jack about Pennator and his shape shifting abilities. He quickly got dressed into some casual clothes and went out to the table.

It was around seven thirty, and most of his siblings were still asleep. His mum was at the table, reading a book. She looked up when she saw him and smiled. 

"Morning," she said, "Have a good sleep?"

Caleb stretched and nodded, "One of the best I've had."

"Well that's good," she replied before going back to her book.

She seemed nervous. Caleb could only guess why, but he thought it was something to do with Pennator. He walked over to the table and poored himself some cereal before sitting down. The sat in silence for a couple of minutes before Caleb decided to speek up.

"Hey mum," he said.

She looked up from her book, "Yeah."

He hesitated for a second, trying to figure out how to word this, "How did you find me? And I don't want the normal story. Did you feel anything different that night, or see anything out of the ordinary."

Rona sighed and placed a book mark in her book before setting it down. 

"Yes," she said, "When I found you, I had a very strange feeling about you. It wasn't a good feeling, or a bad one. It was one of those feelings that you have when you, oh I don't know, when you see someone and you know there's something different about them. That's what I felt when I saw you. I didn't know why or how but it was there."

Caleb nodded slightly, "Anything else?"

"Yes. When I picked you up from the ground, and looked around. I noticed two, large, reptile like footprints in the stone. I was slightly shocked at that," she said smiling slightly, "And scared. I was half thinking that you had been kidnapped by this large beast and dropped here accedently, and I scared away the beast when I opened the door."

'Oh wow,' he thought, 'That dream was true.'

He looked at his mother, trying to decide whether or not to tell her about the dream, then decided to go for it.

"Mum," he said, "I had a dream last night, that explained a few things to me. What you have said proves the dream is real, so I think I'll just go right into it."

He began to tell her about the dream he had had. She listened to every word, not even acting surprised when he told her about the shape shifting potion, or the land of dragons. As he went through the dream he finally came to the part when the green dragon put him, in a bundle and place him at her front door. He then finished with telling her about what the blue dragon said.

She was silent, very silent, after hearing what had happened. It was almost a minute later before she finally spoke up.

"So that's what really happened ha?" she said with a sigh, "You came from a land full of dragons, who were in a civil war, and you happened to make it here, carried by a large green one that made the foot prints at the front door, and left you there."

Caleb just nodded. She sighed again, and lent against her hands, trying to think of what to do. Finally she looked up.

"I won't stop you from going to the dragon land," she said.

Caleb widened his eyes in surprise.

"It is you birthplace after all, and as long as it's free then I don't really have anything to stop you with," she continued, "But if you do go, try to stay alive. It sound's like this civil war is still raging, and that's almost twelve years since you came into my arms."