Chapter One: Before it all Went Boom

Centuries ago, the Sage of Six Paths, Hagoromo Otsutsuki and his brother Hamura Otsutsuki, defeated the most powerful demon in the ninja world, the Ten-Tails, and they were praised as gods for the virtue of their victory. In order to protect the world from the Ten-Tails, the brothers developed a certain technique to seal the beast within Hagoromo's own body, giving him the ability to harness and control its overwhelming power; he became the first Jinchūriki. However, this offered only a temporary solution. In the event of Hagoromo's death, the seal would break, and the Ten-Tails would once again be unleashed upon the world.

Aware of his impending fate, Hagoromo used Creation of All Things to divide the Ten-Tails' chakra into nine individual constructs that would become known as the tailed beasts. As a final precaution, he used Chibaku Tensei to extract the Ten-Tail's husk from his body and sealed it into the moon, resulting in his death. Sometime later, Hamura and the rest of the clan departed to the moon, in order to guard this mother's sealed remains, though not before receiving instructions from his brother to wait for a full millennium and observe mankind.

Hagoromo also gave names to each of the tailed beasts. The Sage would leave behind a tablet for his descendants, detailing the history of his struggle with the Ten-Tails. Only those who possess the Rinnegan can fully decipher the contents of the tablet, while a reader with a lesser dōjutsu can still partially interpret the information. Sometime after creating the tailed beasts, the Sage told them that they would be together even when separated, and that one day they would again be a single entity.

Hagoromo's ultimate wish was to establish peace across the world, but it was a goal that would never be achieved in a single lifetime. Knowing this, he chose to entrust his strength, dream and legacy to his two sons. The older son, Indra Otsutsuki, who inherited Hagoromo's "eyes" (his powerful chakra and spiritual energy), believed that power was the true key to peace. The younger son, Asura Otsutsuki, who inherited the Hagoromo's "body" (his powerful life force and physical energy), believed that love was the true key to peace. On his deathbed, Hagoromo chose Asura to be his successor. Overcome by bitterness and envy, Indra attacked Asura, beginning a war between them. Their feud would continue on through their descendants: the Senju clan and the Uchiha clan.

As time passed, the Hagoromo ultimately faded into legend. His bloodline was divided into the descendants of his two children, which would eventually form the Senju clan - and through distant relations the Uzumaki clan - and the Uchiha clan.

Over the centuries, humanity failed to recognize the tailed beasts as sapient individuals, instead seeing them only as monsters, demons, or mindless beasts worthy of fear and disdain. Because of their immense power, the tailed beasts were sought out by humans to be used as weapons in times of war. The beasts resented this treatment and came to hate humans, at times willingly becoming the monsters they were viewed as. Shortly after the hidden villages were created, Hashirama Senju, who had captured several of the tailed beasts with his Wood Release, distributed the beasts amongst the new villages in order to stabilize the balance of power between them. In order to harness the beasts' power, the villages began sealing them into humans, creating their own Jinchūriki.

Decades later in the Land of Earth, sits the ninja village of Iwagakure, also known as the Hidden Stone Village. Ten years before the fourth ninja war started the elders and the Third Tsuchikage of the Hidden Stone village decided to change the lives of two children. By taking the powers of the Four-Tails and the Five-Tails of the present Jinchūriki's and transferring half of the tailed beast power into a second vessel. The two vessels had to be carefully chosen from the citizens of the Hidden Stone. After carefully thinking it over, the elders and the Third Tsuchikage made their decision.