Chapter 1

Mary stood silently by the waters edge, taking in her surroundings. It was early evening, the light was golden and making the lake look like liquid gold. The air was warm and all you could hear was a quiet bird song and the horses in the stables nearby. Holding her stomach tightly, Mary suddenly felt very nervous for what she was about to tell Francis. She glanced towards the castle and saw his silhouette walking towards her, his golden curls bouncing and glowing in the evening sun. 

"I was told you wanted to talk to me." Francis's voice was soft in the silent air. "Is everything alright? You look scared" 

"I'm not scared." Mary replied "I was just admiring the view. French court is a beautiful place." Mary's hands still remained on her stomach. She turned to face Francis and started saying the speech she had been through many times in her head. 

"I have some amazing news" She stuttered, showing her nervousness. Francis's eyes widened as he saw her hands protecting her stomach. He worked out immediately what she was going to say.

"You aren't?!" His tone amazed. 

"I am. I'm pregnant at last." Mary broke into a smile "I wanted to tell you but I had to be sure I..." she was broken off by Francis launching himself into a hug. He kissed her lips and bent down to kiss her stomach.

"I'm so happy!" He cried looking Mary in the face. "You are wonderful." 

"Don't get too excited, it's still very early." Mary frowned, but she couldn't hide her excitement. 

"I know but this is just so amazing!" Francis hugged Mary again and started to walk away, tugging her arm slightly. "Let's go to bed" he looked at her knowingly and she followed quickly.

Later...

Mary lay with her head on Francis's chest, listening to his heart beating. In that moment she couldn't describe how much she loved him, and she had finally given him what her had always wanted- a child. 

"This is the happiest I've ever been" Francis sighed, breaking Mary's thoughts.

"It was so hard to keep from you. I first thought I was pregnant about 6 weeks ago." She replied, sitting up so she could see Francis properly.

"Why didn't you tell me?" Francis looked disappointed.

"You were so busy and stressed, I wanted to tell you when you could just enjoy it and not worry about anything else." Mary planted a kiss on his cheek.

"Hmmm... I'll let you off then" Francis jokes, returning the kiss. Mary placed her head back on Francis's chest. 

"I love you" she yawned, closing her eyes.

"I love you too." Francis day and admired her; her dark hair draped across her face, her eyelids fluttering as she tried to sleep. He had never felt so in love and so happy in his entire life. This was his last thought before he drifted off to sleep.