Teardrops On My Guitar

TEARDROPS ON MY GUITAR

 Monday, October 17th, 2012

English was my favorite class of the day and not just because of the subject. It was because of Drew; the funny and well known soccer player that I had a huge crush on, as did a lot of other girls. I knew that the possibility of us getting together was slim to none, but I still couldn't help but have feelings for him. He was just a likable person in general.

"Hey, Leigh," he said when he walked into the room and sat across from me. "Did you do last nights homework?" I smiled and nodded.

"Yeah, did you?"

He snorted. "Yeah, right. When have I ever done homework?" I laughed at this because it was true. Everyday he asked me if I'd done the assignments given to us, and everyday I told him I had, before asking him the same. The answer was always a no. Looking up, I noticed the way his smile left dimples and how his plaid over-shirt showed off his slightly toned arms. I sighed. It's official; I'm obsessed.

"So, you're a girl." Drew muttered, looking down while his cheeks turned a slight shade of red.

"Um, yeah. Thanks for noticing?"

I watched as he cracked a small smile, putting down his pencil and folding his hands onto the table. He leaned forward, closer towards me, and began talking in a low voice that sent shivers throughout my whole body. "I've always noticed, it's just that I need your advice on something."

How could I say no to that? "Sure, what's your question?"

"Well, you know Chloe right?" immediately I felt my heart sink into my stomach. Chloe? The stick-thin Chloe? The Chloe with beautiful bright blue eyes that everyone complimented? Yeah, I know who she is; everyone does. She's so beautiful that it makes me feel sick.

"I've heard of her," I said, forcing a smile as I watched one grow onto his flawless face.

"Well, I kind of have a huge crush on her and don't know how to start a conversation. I mean, every guy wants to be with her and I'm just me, you know? We've been friends for a while so I figured you'd know what to do."

He looked so scared and nervous that I couldn't deny him no matter how much my heart twisted in protest. "Um," I swallowed. "I think you should just be your funny and charming self. Everyone I know thinks you're a great guy so why shouldn't she?"

Drew smiled again and looked at me for a whole ten seconds before breaking my heart even more. "But she's different, you know? Like, when I'm around her I can't just be calm; she makes me feel... different." He glanced down at his hands and I let my fake smile fade for a minute before I started pretending again.

"Yeah, I know what you mean."

"You do?" he asked. I nodded, not meeting his gaze.

"Who's the lucky guy?" he teased. You, I thought. But my answer was completely different.

"No one you know."

"Oh? I bet I could take a guess and get it right on the first try." Drew's face was now covered with a confident smirk; the one that showed just how much he loved messing with people.

"Is that a challenge I hear?" I asked.

"Yes, it is Ms. Taylor." Leave it to him to use my last name.

"Fine, go ahead; make your guess."

He snorted. "It's not a guess if you know you're right."

I rolled my eyes. "Shut up and get on with it."