Chapter Four- Speechless

Luna woke in semi- darkness. It took her a while to remember what had happened the previous day. She really hoped Hermione, Harry and Ron wouldn't worry about her, for their sake. Ron may not have seen her disappear but he would definitely find out. The girl sat for a while, then, realising that the sun had not yet risen into the sky, decided that she'd better go outside to watch it do so. After leaving a note for a sleeping Sirius in case he had wanted to find her, she walked serenely, through Hogwarts castle.

Her footsteps echoed and bounced off of the towering walls. Although the darkness meant it was a struggle to see, casting 'Lumos' was out of the question. Luna had a certain affinity for the night's way of opening up a doorway to the unknown.
As the moon shone it would beckon out all sorts of mysterious things; glowing and magnificent. So, as per usual, she took her time exploring the castle. The hundreds of years Hogwarts has stood meant that all sorts of abnormalities had accumulated in nooks between walls. This time she stumbled across a hoard of luminescent butterflies. She smiled contentedly as one, with Caribbean blue wings, came to land upon the palm of her hand. More and more decided to do the same until both of her hands were completely covered in them. She marvelled at their elegance for a while; but soon realised that if she was to see the sunrise in time she should carry on. She bid the butterflies a polite farewell and returned to walking at her tranquil pace.

When Luna had settled herself on the slope overlooking Hagrid's hut and the forest, she waited for the sun to peak above the trees. It was now getting lighter by the minute. Some of the fauna were beginning to lose their leaves. This sight seemed to trigger a memory in her. It was of when her mother would take her to watch the leaves fall from a willow tree next to their home. 'Each fallen leaf represents a memory' Pandora would say to Luna 'It's your choice how many memories you make but once every leaf has fallen the tree is bare, there are no more left to make until next spring; though the trees don't know if they will make it to then. This is why every leaf they grow or flower they blossom is made with devotion and tenderness.' Luna had never forgotten those lines. She clung to them as if they were a safety line and never let go. They were her flicker of light when the sadness had engulfed her. Luna longed for her mother since the day she had died.

She suddenly felt a warm hand on her shoulder. She turned around in surprise to see Sirius, looking sleep deprived, holding out a croissant. It was then that a hunger took over her. 'Morning. Want some?'

'Oh I'd love some. Thank you.' She reached for it but instead of feeling the croissant in her hands she felt a hand. Sirius had greedily shoved the croissant in his mouth and was now grinning mischievously.

'Whoops.' Luna, feeling dejected, let go of his hand and looked at him imploringly. 'Aw I'm just kidding! I'm not that heartless. Don't give me that look.' He took his other hand from behind his back and revealed another croissant to place in her hand.

'Just so you know, it would be wise not to get in between me and food. Especially pudding...' she said, thinking of the lovely smelling pudding she was almost ready to fight for in the great hall a week ago.

'Don't worry, I won't. I don't want to have to re-witness your poor attempt at puppy dog eyes.' stated Sirius as he sat down beside Luna, who was still awaiting the sun rise.

'And you'll be much better?'

'You're right there. Would you like an example?'

'Well...' It was clear Luna had no choice in the matter as Sirius turned to look directly at her from behind his mop of black her and turned his whole facial expression from contented to sorrowful. After a few seconds of this torture it was clear Luna was struggling. She placed her hands over his eyes and he smirked, knowing that he had won.