Fitting In

Bruce's wife, mate, Angie is cooking breakfast when I wake up in the morning. I notice Peter is gone and when I ask her, she tells me he went to help Bruce with additional housing set up. I help Angie work, and secretly admire her. It had been so long since I'd seen another female werewolf, and she was so beautiful and confident. I hear a faint sound of crying, and Angie apologizes and excuses herself. I continue the cooking while she tends to her baby. She returns a few minutes later, carrying a beautiful, sleepy little girl in her arms. 

"This is Miranda." She tells me. "Say hi, Miranda." 

          The little baby Miranda waves at me and I wave back. 

"Do you mind taking her so I can finish? Bruce and your brother should be back any second and I bet they bring some of the other workers with them." 

        I happily agree. I've always loved babies and Miranda seems to feel the same way about me We play in the living room for about twenty minutes before the front door opens. 

"Mom, we have a few guests!" 

        I look up and see a very handsome, young man walk through the door. The first thing I notice is his bright, emerald eyes and it triggers a memory in my head that I can't quite grasp. The next thing I notice is his well-built physique and broad shoulders. He's tall, not as tall as Bruce, but definitely as wide. There is no doubt he is the Alpha's son. His eyes are drawn to me on the floor with his baby sister and he stops moving. Someone bumps into him from behind and there is an "ooaf" sound. 

"Sorry, Caleb." Someone mutters and Caleb grunts back, taking a few steps into the living room. 

        His eyes are totally glued on me and I feel my stomach start to contract. My wolf begins to stir, but she's so weak and so far back there I hardly notice. 

"Caleb, come set the table. Chop, chop." 

        Caleb grins sheepishly at his mother and does what he's told. That was one thing I always remembered about my mom and dad and my brothers; dad was boss, but if mom said something everyone listened right away. People may think that the Alpha male is the boss, but its his Luna, the Alpha female, that runs the show. Because if the Luna isn't happy, nobody is happy. Peter comes in the house last and smiles fondly at me. He sits next to me and baby Miranda and touches my dull, lifeless hair. 

"I accepted a job working construction. Fifty of the werewolves from the facility have choosen to stay so a whole bunch of housing has to be put up. He's ordered a few more trailers, but some of the wolves prefer to be closer to nature so we're building some outdoor living spaces behind the Rec Hall." 
"Like, tents?" I ask excited. 
"Sort of." He replies, amused. 
"Will you make me one?" I ask. I've missed being under the stars so much. 
"Of course," He replies, kissing the side of my head. 

        I notice, out of the corner of my eye, Caleb watching us curiously from the kitchen. 

"Breakfast is ready!" Angie says enthusiastically, "Come and get it." 

        We're all seated at the round table. Alpha Bruce, Angie, Caleb, Peter, and I. There is another werewolf I don't recognize, but I've taken from conversation that his name is Jerry and he is a close advisor to Bruce. Miranda is in her high chair, and she's insisted on sitting next to me so I keep her entertained while we all eat. Bruce notices Miranda and I interacting. 

"You know, Angie. I bet Maddie and Sarah would get along really well." 
Angie's eyes light up. "Oh that's a great idea! Maddie, how would you feel about working at our daycare?" 
I feel a smile form on my face. "I would love that."