Chapter 3

Joey went back upstairs to Melanie's blue room, the smell of perfume enveloped his senses. The clean and dry clothes she had picked out to wear before Doug had interupted her came into his sights. He scooped up the pile assuming they were clean and carefully walked back down to comfort Melanie.

The front room was near being completely empty, all that was in there was a black sofa-not leather, a glass table infront of it, a tv and a tall lamp in one corner. The walls were painted a pale pink, it was hardly noticable in the darkness, the lights hadn't been turned on until Joey walked in, even after they were on the room was still dim.

"I brought your clothes, I thought you might like to be dressed fully while you're with me." He sat down on the sofa by her feet, she was still laying face down.

"Mel?"

She turned over to speak. "It doesn't matter anymore, you've seen me in my underwear now." Her voice was sullen.

"Yeah, but I'm trying not to look so it's making sitting here with you really awkward for me."

"Fine, hand me the clothes." Her arm was outstretched towards him as she sat up. Her short wavy hair was flat on one side from where she had just been laying, the other side was natural. Joey placed the clothes in her frail hand.

Melanie pulled on her sweatpants until they were securely around her waist. Her tank top slid over her head, her arms slipped into her jacket.

"You've lost more weight." Joey stated the fact bluntly.

"Tell me about it." As she spoke with her hollow voice her chocolate brown eyes gazed up towards Joey, tears beginning to spill over the edge.

"What has he been doing to you?" Joey was resting a hand on Melanie's shoulder. In response to his question she shook her head form side to side.

"You can tell me."

"No I can't, you'll tell the police."

"Exactly Mel, it's what I should do if he is doing things to bad things to you."

"I can handle it."

"And what exactly is it that you are handling?"

Melanie looked down to her feet, which were now shuffling around on the carpet. She had never told anyone what Doug was actually doing to her and the fact that she would finally have to tell someone shocked and stunned her into silence.

Outside was only darkness, although Melanie felt like something or someone was watching her, and it wasn't Joey. The rain was hitting the glass of the windows, causing a bitter sweet symphony to play and break the silence, for Melanie though, it only cause ominous tingles to run down her spine. She thought to herself, in all the films the scary killer guy always slams open the door, drenched from the rain and thunder and lightning behind him. How ironic if Doug did that, then he would do something bad to her... Joey's voice brought her out of her fearful thought and back into reality.

"C'mon Mel, someone is gonna find out sooner or later, it's better that the truth comes out now, he won't be able to hurt you anymore."

"Joey, I'll tell you as long as you don't tell anyone. You have to promise me."

"Ok I promise." A chuckle left his mouth shortly after speaking. His promise didn't  convince Melanie.

"No, you seriously have to promise me you won't tell anyone, if you do I will deny everything, so it would be pointless." Her chocolate eyes were still staring at the floor, her eyelashes casting long shadows down her cheeks in the dim light.

"Fine, I promise, now tell me. Everything." Joey stare was hard, his eyes focused on Melanie.

"What do you mean by everything?" Melanie's eyes shot up to meet his.