dancing with our hands tied

two months later

"You up?" he whispers, brushing my hair out of my face. I groan, turning to face him.

"Yeah, why?" I ask softly, placing my hand against his cheek.

"I can't sleep."

I look at him, smiling softly. The moon light washes in through the window, shining over his tired face and lighting it perfectly. He was beautiful, a sight never before seen.

"Do you wanna dance?" I suggest, looking at him.

"What a weird suggestion." he comments, scrunching his nose. "What would we dance to?"

"Music, obviously." I laugh. "But probably something slow."

"Okay." he answers, smiling softly before climbing out of the bed and extending his hand to me.

I accept his gesture, standing up from the bed and stepping closer to him. We were both in just our underwear, making the situation more intimate than I'd imagined. He scrolls through his music app, landing on Faithfully by Journey.

I place my feet on top of his, moving his hand to my waist and shivering slightly at his cool touch. He holds me close to him, holding my free hand with his, my other holding on his shoulder.

He sways slowly, resting his head atop of mine and closing his eyes. He runs his hand up and down my back, holding me close to him as the music picks up.

I feel a sense of euphoria wash over me, the reality hitting me, making me realize just how much I truly love him. I could spend the rest of my days loving him.

"I love you." I whisper, holding him close to me. "So much."

"I love you." he says softly, lifting me up and holding me up by my thighs.

He kisses my chest softly, swaying to the music and singing along softly. His words vibrate against my skin, causing chills to form on my arms.

Time passes slowly, each of us wallowing in the comfort of the other. It was a beautiful moment, one I prayed wouldn't end. But like all things, they must. We eventually grew tired and decided bed was the best option. Despite having work in the morning, I could have stayed up all night with him.

Three hours of sleep was not nearly enough time.

After downing a cup of coffee, and two more at work, I finally feel somewhat alive.

"Didn't get much sleep last night?" Melanie asks, slipping an order paper into the order-carousel.

"Nope. Harry couldn't sleep which kept me up." I answer, filling up my tables cups.

"Ooo." she winks.

"Not like that." I roll my eyes, laughing softly before walking out and delivering my table their drinks.

Despite months passing, I often find myself thinking about how much better my life could be if I furthered my education. No one but my father and I have ever discussed the possibility. Harry instantly dropped it that night once we got home and moved on as usual.

However, every day at work made my heart ache more. I craved the validity of a career; something to define me. Waitressing wasn't cutting it.

"Mel, I've been thinking." I hesitate, sighing heavily. "I think I want to go back to college."

"What's stopping you?" she asks, looking at me.

"Harry. He didn't seem too fond of the idea last time it came up." I answer, running my hand through my hair. "I don't know what to do."

"If he wanted what's best for you, he'd be on board. Evie, you need to talk to him." she says, rubbing my back. "You need to do what's best for you."

I nod, closing my eyes. I figure she's right, although I wish she wasn't. I just wanted to go home and pretend everything was okay and that I don't dread driving to work every day and carrying out the same routine.

I want to be something greater than what I am now.

After a long shift, I'm dreading the drive home knowing that I have to talk to him. I can no longer push off the inevitable, knowing that either way, someone's going to be hurt. It's a sick feeling knowing that the fate of our lives rests in my teeny tiny hands.

I take a deep breath, walking through the door and shutting it behind me. Harry's sat on the couch reading a book, as usual, his feet curled up under him and glasses sitting on the bridge of his nose.

"Hey." I say softly, taking my coat off. "Can we talk?"

He looks over at me, his eyebrows etching together before he sets the book down.

"Yeah." he responds, standing up from the couch. "What's wrong?"

"Harry..." I sigh, looking at him.

My emotions are quickly taking a turn for the worst, tears slowly brimming my eyes. I take a deep breath, locking my fingers together in front of me.

"I need to finish my education." I tell him. "I know you don't like the idea, but it's what I need."

He's silent, his face blank. I can't tell what he's thinking.

"Harry, please say something."

"What is there to say?" is all he says, leaving me feeling defeated.

There's so much to say, why doesn't he see that?

I look at him, pushing past him and into the kitchen. I was no longer upset, more angry at his ignorance. I bury my face in the palms of my hands, groaning loudly. He could get me so frustrated.

"Harry, you can't just do that!" I tell him, going back into the living room.

"Do what?" he asks, acting innocent.

"Ignore me. You can't just brush me off. I want to know what you're thinking."

"Why can't you just go somewhere closer?" he finally says, looking at me.

I shake my head, looking at him.

"That's not fair."

"If it's not fair then I'm done talking about this."

I walk into the kitchen, running my hands through my hair in frustration and closing my eyes. I'm nearly crying at this point, torn over what I'm supposed to do.

"I'm going whether you like it or not."

"And I don't get any say in this?" he scoffs, entering the kitchen.

"Well not when you don't say anything!" I nearly yell, looking at him.

"There's nothing to say! Not like I could change your mind, since you've clearly already decided." he retorts, going up to the room.

I follow behind him, crossing my arms over my chest. He can be so ridiculous.

"Why can't you just come with me?"

"Like you'd even want that."

"If I didn't want that then why would I suggest it?" I ask, leaning against the frame of the door.

"Whatever. I'm done talking about this."