Chapter 3

Because all this time

Will pass me by anyway

I understand I’m not with them

I’m not the same

I couldn’t believe that I became a vampire. The creatures I read about and saw played in movies and often even dreamed about, were not myth at all - they were very real. I no longer felt the need to sleep or eat and the smell of coffee and toast repulsed me. I had gone through the multitudes of stories that I had read about vampires and so I couldn’t understand how I became one without the prescribed agony of the supposed transformation.

“You must understand…” Erin’s voice brought me out of my reverie. “Most things that you think you know about vampires are not actually true.” I just nodded at him dumbly; I was still trying to get my head around the concept of being a vampire, although I already had all the proof I could possibly need.

“So, all the descriptions of how painful it is to turn into a vampire are wrong?” I queried, lifting my eyes to look at him. His serene smile dazzled me for a moment.

“No, that part is definitely true” I lifted an eyebrow in question. “I just have a talent for making it a lot easier.” I puzzled over that statement for a few straight minutes. Time seemed a lot easier to count now; I didn’t need a clock to see what hour it was as my sensitive eyesight measured the amount of shadow cast by the trees.

“How?” I asked finally. He just grinned at me.

“I made you sleep, until the transformation was complete, that is why you have not felt the pain, it’s one of my gifts.”

“You have more than one?” I wondered what kind of gifts I had, but more importantly what I would do with these gifts, what would I do with this new life?

“Yes, I have two, though they are very similar in their nature” He stopped there, waiting for me to ask the obvious question. I humoured him.

“And what is the other?” He looked pleased that I took the bait. I wondered then, vampires seemed to have more emotions than humans, or at least Erin seemed to be more emotional than I would have thought was possible for a cold blooded killer. But then, he had mentioned that it was not necessary to kill humans… I wondered what he meant by that.

“I can see people’s dreams,” he paused “That’s how I knew what you dreamed about.” A wry smile started to spread on his lips, but quickly turned into a frown “I won’t be able to see your dreams anymore though” he sighed “what a shame – they were so colourful.”

“I guess not” I mumbled, a frown steadily creeping onto my own brow. He shifted uncomfortably in his seat. I wasn’t sure how long we had been sitting out there on the patio, I was not counting time, but I saw the sun rise and set twice more before I continued my sentence. “You mentioned that no one ever had a choice - that being a vampire was somehow predestined. What did you mean?”

“Ah, it’s time for the history lesson” he smiled sadly. “Do you know about the first woman that was created?”

“Eve.” I answered automatically. He shook his head.

“Eve was created from Adam’s rib, but she was not the first woman.” I registered that with a shock. I had a piece of the puzzle, but the rest of it was missing. “I am talking about Lilith” he continued. “Lilith was created at the time of Adam, from dust just as Adam had been. Lilith was his first wife.” I shook my head in disbelief.

“I never heard such a story” He just continued to smile his sad smile.

“Of course not, how could the most righteous allow humans to know such a thing?” I shivered at that statement.