Chapter 13 - Deviant

I drive Connor and I to the creator of the androids, Kaminski, at this point I'm out of leads, he's our last hope.

Just as I pull into the driveway of Kaminski's house I get a phone call from Chris, he never calls me unless it's an emergency, "I have to take this" I mutter to Connor before getting out of the car.

"Hello?" I answer.

I pace in front of my car as Chris rushes out that there was an attack by a group of androids, the same ones who broke into the tower.

He tells me how Markus, the leader of the deviants spared his life.

"Are you okay?" I ask worriedly, "I'm okay, I'm shaken up, Fowler's letting me get the next couple of days off, but..." he trails off.

"But?" I push, he signs into the phone "He had a gun in his hands, he had the opportunity to shoot me, but he spared me, he showed empathy, Nat. He's not a machine, he's human, he showed me compassion" he says.

I look up and see Connor getting out of the car, "I have to go, Chris, we got another lead, but please... call me if you need anything" I say before hanging up.

"Is everything alright, Nat?" he asks, Nat... hearing him say my nickname gives me butterflies.

I stare at the beautiful snow falling and coating the ground, I sit on the front of my car and shift the snow around with my boot.

I glance at him and sigh "Chris was on patrol last night. He was... attacked by a bunch of deviants" I say and sniffle, the cold weather is giving me a cold.

"He said he was saved by Markus himself" I add, Connor sits on the car next to me and folds his arms over his chest.

"Is Chris ok?" he asks honestly, like he is genuinely worried about him.

I nod "Yeah, he's in shock but... he's alive" I say, I frown as his words sink into me, Markus showed him a human emotion, he's not a machine.

"What the hell" I mutter, I collect myself before standing up and walking to Kaminski's front door, I hear Connor's footsteps behind me.

"I have a bad feeling, Natasha," he says, "we shouldn't have come here" he adds, it surprises me that Connor says this.

"Bad feeling, huh?" I question, "you should get your program checked" I joke, "might be a glitch," I say and glance at him, he just stares at me with his head tilted, his usual lost puppy look.

I ring the doorbell and cover my arms over my chest, "Your body temperature is 87.6, we need to get you warmed up" Connor says, "Yeah well hopefully he lets us inside" I say.

The door opens up and a beautiful girl greets us, "Hi, uh, I'm Lieutenant Natasha Parish, Detroit Police Department. I'm here to see Mr. Elijah Kamski" I say, "Please, come in" she smiles as she gestures us in.

"Thank you' I mumble as I walk into the beautiful foyer, "I'll let Elijah know you're here. But please, make yourself comfortable" she says and walks off.

I shake off the snow from my coat and walk over to a random painting and I stare at it, it's extremely beautiful.

I've never been attracted to paintings, I feel like they're pointless, but in recent months I've learned to find the beauty in random things, and in people.

I glance at Connor and see him staring at another painting with a look of fascination, "Nice girl" I say, he nods and glances at me before returning his attention to the painting.

"You're right, she's really pretty," he says, my heart hurts as I look down at my shoes, he's never called me pretty.

I walk over to the chair and sit down with a sigh, "Nice place" I mutter, "guess androids haven't been a bad thing for everybody" I add and look up at him hinting at myself, he doesn't notice.