5. Total Chaos, The Good Kind of Chaos

It is now Monday and I here am, slightly hungover and anxious as hell - bouncing my knee uncontrollably on the floor of my car.

My hands are gripping the steering wheel tightly as I peer at the glass door ahead. I’m staring at it so hard in fact that if I could somehow transfer myself into another dimension, I probably would have disappeared. I tear my eyes away from it for a few seconds to throw my hair into a quick ponytail and step out of my car.

I approach the building and step inside, immediately taking in the smell of roasted chicken and garlic wafting through the air.

"Hi! Rebecca Daniels, correct?" I like this woman a lot more than the other one. The other hostess looked like she wanted to stab me with an ice pick.

"That would be me."

"Great! Ms. Crossman wants to meet with you briefly in her office before you start."

"Okay," I reply, my stomach twisting with anxiety.

"If you follow the same path to Chef Brooks office, hers is the door on the right."

"Thank you."

"Hope your first day goes well," she calls behind me. I tell her thank you and head down the narrow hallway to Ms. Crossman's office.

I tap lightly on her door and she tells me to come in. When I enter, I am hit with the strong scent of Vera Wang perfume. My eyes land on the breathtaking woman behind an expensive looking cherry-wood desk. Her raven hair falls in soft curls around her face, and the knee length, fitted black dress - that hugs her curves in just the right way - makes me envy her body completely.

She stands and emerges from behind her desk, sauntering over to come formally shake my hand. "It's nice to finally meet you, Rebecca. I've heard a lot about you," she greets with a smile.

"All good things, I hope," I reply teasingly.

She laughs. "Yes, very good things. I'm sorry that I couldn't meet you last week, I was out of town and swamped with meetings. I wanted to play a more prominent role in the hiring process this go around."

"I think Alex pretty much has me all set. I was in good hands I guess you could say."

"You two know each other?" She questions, crossing her arms over her chest.

"Not exactly. He's friends with my dad."

"Oh." Oh? What the hell is that supposed to mean? "Well I won't keep you from your work, I know how Alexander gets. Good luck on your first day." She smiles and walks back over to her desk.

"Thank you," I mutter before exiting her office.

I head over to the kitchen, engrossed with total chaos, the good kind of chaos. The kind of orderly chaos I hope to achieve one day when I am the head chef of a kitchen.

People are moving, sauces are flying, and knives are slicing. Home, sweet home. There is something about the absolute chaos of a kitchen that puts me instantly at peace. It’s one of the main reasons I wanted to be a chef in the first place.

I look around anxiously for Alex, but see he is nowhere in sight. I open my mouth to say something to a woman as she passes by, but she walks right past me as if I’m not even here. Rude, much? Did Alex let anyone else know today was my first day?

“There you are,” A familiar voice says impatiently. “You’re late.”

“Sorry,” I answer Alex, breathlessly. “Ms. Crossman just wanted to have a quick chat with me before my first day.”