2. A Lunchtime Surprise

l walk out of Romano's so unsure of myself. Not quite definite of Chef Brooks first impression of me. I never got any signs or even a hint as to how the interview went. My jaw tightens at the thought of him.

I swiftly make my way through the maze of cars, finally reaching my red Volkswagen Jetta. I open the door, lowering myself down into the seat, one leg remaining out the door. I remove my heels, tossing them onto the floor of the passenger side and exchange them for my flats.

I dig into the right pocket of my black dress slacks, my fingers frantically searching for my phone. It's not there. I reach into my left pocket, not there either.

"Seriously? " I groan.

Closing my eyes, I place my hand against my forehead, dragging it down my face. I would rather walk a mile barefoot over hot coals than go back into that place right now. I want to spare myself another round of confused stares and internal judgement. I let out a frustrated sigh as I groan.

I hop out my car, closing the door as I quickly make my way back to the entrance. I'm knocked off balance halfway when I bump into what feels like a brick wall.

"Ow!" I yelp as my ass makes contact with the concrete. I make the decision to go ahead and just lie myself down in this exact spot. I don't think I can handle anymore embarrassment at this point and after the day I've had it feels kind of safe down here.

I bring my right arm up, placing it over my eyes. My body is splayed out on the ground similar to that of a snow angel formation. "Uh...what are you doing?" I hear a deep voice ask.

"I'm fine, just give me a minute," I tell him softly, waving off the stranger.

"You have got to be shitting me. You're lying on the hot concrete and you honestly expect me to believe that you're fine?"

"Yes," I answer, now mildy agitated by this rude ass, random stranger.

My eyes fly open as he lifts me to my feet effortlessly, our bodies only inches apart - my breathing ragged. "Chef Brooks?" I breathe. A look of pure shock splashes across my face as I look up at him with a wide eyed gaze.

"You are not fine. Are you fucking crazy?" His voice comes across so low and menacing it might as well be a whisper.

His intense blue eyes hold my hazel intently. A hand remains wound around one of my wrists as he observes me. These few seconds of his hand being exposed to my skin ignites every nerve in my body, radiating a wave of heat over the entirety of me.

I don't want him to let me go, then again I don't want him holding on to me either. I barely know this man. And besides, the manner in which he was treating me is repulsive. I am also not a fan of his cocky attitude.

"Excuse me?" I snap. I peel his fingers off my wrist and release my arm from his grip, placing it against my chest. "What person in their right mind curses at someone like that? I don't even know you, and you definitely don't know me. And...you touched me. Have you never heard of stranger danger?" I lift a brow at him.

He remains silent. He just continues to gaze at me with a growing smile threatening to make an appearance.

I dust the gravel from my sleeves and pants legs angrily. "What?" I ask, looking up him, still dusting off my pants.

"I'm definitely not a stranger, you just met me not even forty minutes ago," he smirks, bringing a hand up to rub at the exposed skin on the back of his neck. He leans in close, causing my breath to hitch in my throat. I can feel the warmth from his breath on my ear as he whispers, "Oh, and if I wanted to do something to you, I would not have done it on my job site." My lips are slightly parted when he pulls away.