2🌸. { Edited }

Song- Empire State of mind by Jay z and Alecia keys.

Even if it ain't all it seems
I got a pocketful of dreams
Baby, I'm from
New York, concrete jungle where dreams are made of
There's nothing you can't do
Now you're in New York
These streets will make you feel brand new
The big lights will inspire you
Hear it for New York, New York, New York...

~~

My eyes snapped open when I caught a whiff of a funky smell. I raised my gaze and saw Mr Smelly pits standing over my head and reaching out to get his duffel bag down from the train's cabinet.

Have we arrived ?

The last thing I remember was thinking about my family . I had no idea that I had dozed off completely. Thank goodness that I didn't swallow and choke on the gum I was chewing before I slept off.

At that same  moment, Mr Smelly pits turned his attention to me, now with his duffel bag in his right hand . " I thought you would never wake up. You slept all through the journey. You should take your bag . We're in New York."

I then looked around him saw everyone else , moving towards the doors of the train . Mr Smelly Pits wasn't joking . We were really in New York.

" Thanks." I said as I brought out my phone to send a text to Maddie, telling her that I had arrived. From a conversation last night, she was going to be picking me up from the subway station since I didn't know my way around New York. The moment, I switched on my phone , a pop up text notification appeared on my screen and two missed calls from Maddie. I use an old iPhone 8 with the screen cracked in so many places but thankfully, I could still make out the words of the text . Let's not get into the peeling back of the phone which I hid with a phone case I've had for over three years. With all the worries on my mind, the last thing I could afford was a new phone. Besides this phone was working just fine. Well except that my cloud storage was filled up and I needed to buy more space but It was working just fine.

I almost always keep my phone on silent mode so that's probably why I didn't hear it ring when Maddie called. I tapped the screen to show the full message she sent and it was a text from her saying that she was at the subway station waiting for me and telling me that she had left me two missed calls . She sent the text about thirty minutes ago meaning that she must have been waiting at the train station for that long .

I quickly shot her a text saying that I had arrived and I was coming out to meet her right now. Before flinging my phone back into my purse, I turned off silent mode so that I could hear my phone ring if she called again then I stood up to get my duffel bag from the cabinet.

" Do you need help with that?" I heard Mr Smelly Pits ask behind me.

" No!" I snapped subconsciously. I turned around feigning a smile. " I mean, I got it but thanks for offering." I said, more politely. You see, me letting him help me would mean more minutes of me suffering from his odour.

" Okay," he shrugged before walking to the front to join the line. I brought down my duffel bag and joined the line too. Fortunately, there were not a lot of people In front of me so It didn't take long before I got down from the train . There was a giddy feeling at the pit of my stomach and I knew it was because I was so excited to see Maddie. The last time I saw her, she was leaving to New York after college. It had only been about two years but it seemed like we hadn't seen each other in forever.

The minute I stepped on to the platform, the first thing I spotted her shiny blonde hair and model-like body. She was unmistakable. Her eyes met with mine and her smile spread widely across her face .