Change is Strange

Loki awoke to the sound of cooking. Taking a long sniff, he smiled, all sadness of last night forgotten instantly. Bacon, Eggs, Beans, Sausages. Smells from his childhood. Grabbing a t-shirt and some trousers, he started to leave. When he got to the door, he slapped himself on his head, remembering he was King. Sighing, he redressed himself in his black, gold and green armour, pausing at the last second to grab his helmet.

He sped down the hallway, his cloak billowing.

Opening the door, the smell hit him. He almost shivered in pleasure. He smiled at the sight of Thor, Fandrall, Hogun, Lady Sif, and Volstagg sat around the centre table, smiling, laughing, talking, and, in the case of Volstagg, stuffing their faces.

Loki cleared his throat awkwardly, not wanting to break up the fun. Thor turned, smile on his face.

"Join us, Brother! We were just commenting on Lady Sifs new, ur, 'friendship' with Kungrath!" He broke of, laughing, Lady Sif going painfully red.

He raised an eyebrow, not believing.

"Er, unless I'm mistaken, isn't Kungrath the Baker that we order from?" More redness, more laughing.

He sat down, a stupid grin plastered on his face. He felt accepted, except from the hostile looks coming from Lady Sif. Within seconds, an extra plate was on the table in front of him, loaded with his favourite.. He checked the time. Yep, breakfast. Decidedly less loaded than Volstagg's second mountain, but he still doubted he would eat it all. Still smiling, he began eating in what was probably the most un-kingly way ever known. He hadn't eaten since the day of his 'death' So he was famished. The conversation turned corners to a very awkward subject to Loki: the happenings in New York. He looked down at his plate, refusing to meet the furious glare of Sif. It was not his fault that the Other had used the mind stone to control him. Thor of all people should know the true power of the infinity gems, his own Jane Foster had housed the Aether and had nearly died as a result.

Loki realised that he hadn't even been back to Earth to apologise to S.H.E.I.L.D for his actions. The Loki of the past would've ignored the fact he murdered countless people, and carried on with his life. But this Loki, he was different.

"I...I think I have to go back to Earth."

He murmured.

"Loki, you have just became King! Surely you would rather rule Asgard than a bunch of pointless mortals!" Thor exclaimed.

"No! I mean, I, er, need to apologise to S.H.I.E.L.D. What I did was wrong, I murdered countless people. I injured thousands more. I need to amend my mistakes before I become king."

The shock in everyones face was unbelievable. Even Lady Sif looked as if he just said he was turning down the throne.

"Loki, Loki, Loki." Thor said, shaking his head, a sly smile on his lips.

"What have we done to you?"

"It wasn't you." He sighed, then stood to leave, but not before grabbing some sausages and bacon.